• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats holding me back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mycotopian

I was hoping to get this rig up to 4ghz+ but unfortunetly I was only able to get this setup running stable at 3.6 on air with the stock HSF. Suddenly this weekend it started rebooting randomly. I am guessing its because its been a little warmer in socal lately but shouldnt this setup be good for 3.8-4ghz on air? I have the swiftech waterblock on the way but while I am cracking everything open if there is a better stepping out there I might as well throw it in.

Does anybody see anything else besides the cpu that may be holding me back?

What is the best 3.2 or 3.4 775 chip out there to get me to 4.2ghz+?

Cooler Master CM Stacker Full-Tower CASE
ABIT "AA8XE" 925XE Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB)
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon X800 PRO Video Card
Fortron Blue Storm
Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 540J 3.2 GHz, 800MHz FSB
2 Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drives
BenQ 16x, Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive

On a completely unrelated not I am picking up my 56" Samsung DLP today to hook up as my primary monitor for this rig:attn::attn::attn:

Last edited:
Going to be tough to do 4 gig with stock cooling. What's your load CPU temp at 3.6 gig?

Have you updated the BIOS? You might check out my AA8XE sticky post guide in the Abit Motherboard Section.

My P4 550 ran at 4.29GHz for a while but crashed back to desktop after reboot using Tt Big Water CPU temp at 60C at time of crash. Not sure what caused the crash. Seems happiest at 4GHz will run for hours 56-58C max

Back