• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to make my own cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dugans

Ok, I have decided that I want to make my own cases: one out of wood (an old stereo stand with glass front door,) and one out of metal (I'm a welder/steel worker.)

What I'm looking for is suggestions/ideas and experiences others have had doing this.

Both cases should:
optimize airflow- air cooled
allow easy access for my all-thumbs hands

I've done some simple case mods- add fans, ducts, front usb ports
and dual psu's, but!

Okay, lets here it folks, what should I do?

I do have a digital camera so pics will be posted!

Ive made a case out of wood and Im using it right now

I got some graph paper and planed out where everything is going to be and thin just put it to wood=]

the hardest part was making the back side where your motherboard hangs out

also the pci/agp slot where hard but the rest was very easy and only costed me about $15

I was going to make one out of metal thin I thought why not just buy a cheap case and mod the **** out of it=] (with a welder of couse)

so thats my next project

Reason I want to make a metal one myself too: free stock and use of equipment! Somehow I just love the sound and even the LOOK of that word.........
FREE

im a welder/steelworker too so im always scoping the shop to think of different things i can do.I was going to build a frame in the shape of a cube from angle iron and then build it with plexi or lexan but i kinda gave up on that idea.We have a machine shop too so im seriously thinking of making my own heatsink from copper and silver once i get some prices on stock.

For building your own case I would think that if you used some pieces from an old case like the motherboard holder and the drive bays would make it easier to do.

Back