• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with building my own PC case with 2 big fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kosmicro

Hi people, I have just singed up for posting this :D

Introduction

I want to build my own PC case, with awesome air flow (in summer this place gets hot, thus my computer gets really hot with rendering) and good-looking (I am a woodworker); this has been in my mind for a long time, but recently I got two old fans which used to be rack air extractors.

Here some pics ->

ucDHDMx.jpg

1eT3eNq.jpg

muM7Hor.jpg

I'm not sure how to measure their power, but they work with 220v, makes not-so-much noise (i can tolerate it), and throw A LOT of air haha
Right now I can't control their speed, but I will investigate if there is any way.

Design

(I will focus in the fan-components relation)

At first I had the idea to make like a wind tunnel, but placing the pc componets was hard, so I came up with this design.

sEQ1qh9.png

(I hope you can understand)

Air comes from the right fan, flows above and between the mother/cpu/gpu, and is extracted through the left fan (in front of the psu)

Not relevant details:
The top and (maybe) the acrylic will be able to lift up to access the interior, cable management will be solved with a guide just below the top, the components will be mounted in a metal sheet, the exterior will be wood except that part in the front, there will be diferents switchs for the PC and the fans, also the power income (220v) will be divided (one way to the psu and one to the fans), both fans will have a nice dust filter, etc.

TLTR --> build a case with 2 BIG fans (220v)

Questions

• How do you think my pc will work with so much air flowing?
  • Will the direct income of air to the mother, cpu ang gpu affect their performance? Will it stress or damage the components? Will it stress or damage the component's mini-fans?
  • Do you suggest to invert the air flow (extract with the fan next to the mother) to minimize risk?
  • Do you have any other thoughts you want to share? Do you consider this feasible?

I look forward to reading your comments, thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Hey KosMicro(welcome to OCF),

Below are my comments regarding your design.

How do you think my pc will work with so much air flowing?
- There won't be any affect on your PC as long as all the fans are moving air in the same direction(for example, don't have the cooling fan blowing toward an intake fan)

Will the direct income of air to the mother, cpu ang gpu affect their performance? Will it stress or damage the components? Will it stress or damage the component's mini-fans?
- The direct intake of the fan hitting the motherboard first, I don't think you'll have to worry about damage as long as the air has plenty of room around the GPU/tower cooler to move air.

Do you suggest to invert the air flow (extract with the fan next to the mother) to minimize risk?
- Now this question was my main reason for responding, so I hope I can make this a little clearer. If you keep the current air flow, I would recommend you reversing your PSU fan so that it intakes from outside the case and exhausts inside right next to the exhaust fan. However, if you invert the air flow, the question above about damage is no longer a problem as the direct airflow would hit the PSU which wouldn't damage at all. I would possibly put in a small angle piece that helps direct airflow around the corner. In this direction, I would leave the PSU fan as is and let it get air directly from the intake fan and then exhaust out the back.

Do you have any other thoughts you want to share? Do you consider this feasible?
- My only additional thought, since your main complaint is your current heat problem, is to make the box big enough to allow plenty of airflow around the components.
- Also, good luck with the fans as I imagine they sound a little like jet liners haha. Depending on what the CFM rating is, you might be able to get fans that put out similar output but quieter by not going with a server/rack fan.

Welcome again to OCF, I hope I answered some of your concerns.

My other input to add is if you're going to add those fans make sure there near ventilation like air flowing through grills otherwise they'll be wasted effort just floating around inside your case until the exhaust/intake suck it out.

Can you host your pictures locally it makes it a lot easier on us. You can use the little picture icon in the till tab at the top of the post section to add photos directly to the page.

Can you post up the model number of this fans. I might be able to give you some advice on how to control them. I assume you have a 220v line readily available?

Back