• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone ever seen this happen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

honhon

hey all, im running the rig in my sig right now, and im playing CS:S right now, and something strange is happening........

i normally play cs:s with my 2 120mm deltas about half speed and when im done i turn them lowest they can go via my fan controller.

well i turned them down earlier when i went to work and now im playing cs:s and i noticed i forgot to turn them back up.

BUt the strange thing is, my cpu is actually running cooler?!?!?!

with the fans @ 1/2 speed each my cpu went up to 45C and now its only hitting 41.5C

How can this be happening??????

nothing else has changed the house is a cool 77F and my room where my computer is, is alittle warmer so i guess 79F i have a probe by the front intake 120mm fan and its reading 28.9 on the intake air.

I will be water cooling in about 2 weeks so im not too worried about temps at the moment, but i am wondering if anyone else has seen this happen.

thanks! :)

cooling isnt set in stone, it could be that your ambient is cooler in general, also it could be that if you reapplied thermal paste recently then its getting settled in

To me when you had them running higher it was going to fast for the airflow in your system until you lowered them an now the flow is just right, some people think the HIGHER is better but that's not true due to when you lower the fan it's really cooling the system because the air is flowing slower an cooling it down, I got mine set-up like fronts 60% ^^^ back 80% an that pulls the heat right out :clap:

Maybe it's a case pressure thing. I don't know if both of those 120's are blowing in; or if one's sucking air out, but a good balance of air in volume = Air out volume at about the same rate may be the reason for improved temps. I run slight positive pressure in my case to try to keep the dust down. Too much positive pressure will make it hard for warm air to escape.
My 2 cents.

Slake said:
Maybe it's a case pressure thing. I don't know if both of those 120's are blowing in; or if one's sucking air out, but a good balance of air in volume = Air out volume at about the same rate may be the reason for improved temps. I run slight positive pressure in my case to try to keep the dust down. Too much positive pressure will make it hard for warm air to escape.
My 2 cents.

thats actually what i was thinking, i was thinking it was the pressure change, b/c also now that i remember when i forgot to turn the fans down the other day i came home and my computer was idling @ like 40C and tonight i came home and it as idling @ 36C

also i should mention that i have a side intake fan feeding the 90mm fan on top of my SI-97, and the side intake fan has been @ 3/4 or full for the past week during these different tests.

ALso the info about the air moving too quickly does make me ponder about that, it kinda makes sense in a way because it doesnt give the air enough time to be able to warm up and then move on, rather it just heats up alittle and gets shoved out of the case all that much quicker. plus with the 2 deltas i have, 1intake and 1 exhaust they are both rated @ 130cfm each @ full so you can tell they do move alot of air.

also the only other fan in the system besides the GPU and NB fan is a 120mm fan in the OCZ PSU i have

Slake said:
My 2 cents.
I agree with Slake 101% :attn:

That is what aircooling is all about finding the right combination, amount, and air flow configuration for your particular case setup.

You can use powerful fans as long as the system is balanced correctly to handle it.

WOW, i just stopped playing CS:S and my temp was @ 41.5 and now just typing a quick message on ocforum its already down to 37.5C thank you so much thermalright!
(too bad its being replaced by a danger den water block soon)

Also i havent reaplied any AS5, ive only had this system built for about.... i would say 2weeks, so it could also be a possibility the AS5 decided to finally settle right down nicely.

I'd bet that with the fan cranked all the way up, you'll fee air blowback at the fan.

yeah i can feal it alittle, the deltas i have probably arent the best deltas in the world, i bought them for 15$ shipped off of ebay (both in total) but they will be replaced soon hopefully with new slimmer fans that will be alittle quieter because i am going to water cooling and i need thinner fans.

hi'
as some greenhouse system, the outflow has to be greater than the inflow, so in this way, you get a "vaccum effect", no need to extra inflow mainly for peace of mind, set a 2 120mm outflow for a 2 80mm inflow, and reduce the power of all to 70% and be happy ;)
antway, it depends of the size of the case ... an air system set with 1 120mm(out) and a 1 80mm(in) could be enough when the room is not this hot ...
you have to think about "how much time this fan can fill up the case with air,
then how long will the other one need suck the air out ...
look at the room temp and think a bit ;)
the air can warm up faster than anyone can think, especialy when the heat inside is constant ... the least the air stays, the best cooling you get ;)
volume and ratio calculation ...

i686

After lurking for a while, i did notice that some folks were surprised that putting a higher CFM fan on does little ( mixed results )

Perhaps in this case it's actually hurting your temps, from turbulance maybe? Air just blowing around on the inside of the case, but not really going in a particular direction will drive the ambient temp up.

My box runs a whole lot cooler with the side fan completely off, the 80mm in front on full tilt, and the rear 120 full blast as well.

~ Gos

Too much negative or posotive case pressure dirupts the natural airflow patterns in your case. and can make it more difficult for your CPU fan to maintain the desired airflow over yoour heat sink.

If you plan to push a TON of air through your case using air cooling, try and balnce the exuast and intake as best you can. , or shroud/duct your HSF.

Since your going water, feel free to go nuts with the airflow in your case. Once you take the CPU and GPU out of the airflow, pretty much everything in your case is now relying on the natural flow through the case. Since you radiator is your main cooler, once the air gets inside the case, the more turbelnce the better.

My box runs a whole lot cooler with the side fan completely off, the 80mm in front on full tilt, and the rear 120 full blast as well.

~ Gos
right, just as I said ...
more outflow than inflow and everything is fine ... ;)

i686

Back