• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro to 9800xt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IdarkVstarI

Registered
I have a ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb with Samsung Memory (R350). I've successfully flashed the bio's to a 9800xt that works for a R350. But! When i run ATITool is get terrible artifacts, infact, even if a overclock 10mhz on my core i get artifacts. I just installed a Zalman VGA cooler, and still get the same results. I dont know what i did wrong. This is a brand new videocard made by ATI. Do i need to change anything else in my mobo bios? Thanks and please help soon!

Im assuiming you used AS5. Try turing fastwrite off in the bios. Also try setting the aperature (sp) to 64 or 128.

Artic Silver 5, of course. FW is off, and which one would be better, 64 or 128. i just switched it to 128

edit- now that i made it 128, i was able to reach only 15mhz more. I dont know whats up... :-\ Anything else i could change?

Last edited:
I did this over a year ago with the same core. I ended up trying 4 different bioses b4 i found one that my card liked. Mind u i can only overclock 13 on the core and 10 on the mem from xt speeds with the xt bios but, if u look at the original speeds for the pro it's a huge improvement. Oh i'm also running bga ramsinks on the ram and an artic silencer.

I have ram sticks on my card also. And Its back to the pro bios and i can only get 15mhz on my core more.

Don't use an XT BIOS on an R350 for daily use. It'll try to use shaders that your core doesn't have, resulting in artifacts. A Gigacube Pro BIOS would be the best for your card.

Here ya go. It should get you 10MHz or more increase in memory overclock. Just take note, however, this BIOS's clocks are 400/350, considerably higher than a stock Pro, but still lower than an XT.

Thanks, ill flash in a sec.

Since i just got this videocard, its brand new and never used that much. So might it not be used to high heat?

Does it artifact in games also? One final thing you should do is make sure that you aren't using Temp. AA in your video card settings. This will make ATI tool go nuts with artifacts no matter what the temperature is.

Its weird thing that happens. Like some parts of the ground shoot out at me, and stuff like that. And i know i see artifacts too, tiny dots like you'd see when your cable tv goes out.

What is AA?

Edit- I used the bois (gigabyte 9800pro) and im getting tiny artifacts on ATItool

Last edited:
yea... i dont think you caught what gautam said... you have a r350 core, the r360 core is the one that flashes. that being said, i tried it, and it didnt make a difference. the only diffierence i noticed was tighter memory timings, which you can change with ati tool anyway.

Hmmm, i think i might've put my heatsink on really tight. If i loosen it a bit, do you think my performance will get better?

l3ored said:
yea... i dont think you caught what gautam said... you have a r350 core, the r360 core is the one that flashes. that being said, i tried it, and it didnt make a difference. the only diffierence i noticed was tighter memory timings, which you can change with ati tool anyway.

Hmm, mine had a R350 core and I sucessfully flashed it to a XT. At least I think it was a R350, thats what AIDA32 reported.

It's a program that tells you a bunch of detailed information about your computer, stuff the regular Windows OS would never tell. You can download it here.

erm...u can't have a r350 flash to a 9800XT, cause the XT used a r360 not r350, sorry bud LOL

Back