• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ssh for Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

Is there any good ssh consoles for WindowsXP? I have a server set up in my bedroom, but none of my computers run linux, until I get the one in my sig built. And, also, is it possible to access a windows network partition from a linux console running Debian, remotely through ssh? And whats the ssh daemon name? I've never had to use it, so i never found out...I tried "start-stop-daemon -start ssh" with no luck.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
Is there any good ssh consoles for WindowsXP? I have a server set up in my bedroom, but none of my computers run linux, until I get the one in my sig built. And, also, is it possible to access a windows network partition from a linux console running Debian, remotely through ssh? And whats the ssh daemon name? I've never had to use it, so i never found out...I tried "start-stop-daemon -start ssh" with no luck.

puTTY is a good Windows ssh client. linky

You don't need to ssh to connect to a Windows network partition. The samba tools allow you to do that from a linux command line.

The name of the ssh daemon is sshd, not ssh.

Ken

Last edited:
3rd for PuTTY.
The SSH Daemon on linux is generally, "sshd"
If you want to share files back and forth with windows, if you have KDE or Gnome installed, try openning up the network and find the windows file shares on the windows box.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

PuTTY (the Telnet and SSH client itself)
PSCP (an SCP client, i.e. command-line secure file copy)
PSFTP (an SFTP client, i.e. general file transfer sessions much like FTP)
PuTTYtel (a Telnet-only client)
Plink (a command-line interface to the PuTTY back ends)
Pageant (an SSH authentication agent for PuTTY, PSCP and Plink)
PuTTYgen (an RSA and DSA key generation utility).

PuTTY does it all. No need for other stuff.

Back