• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my Tecumseh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LabRat23

compressor.JPG

compressor2.JPG

compressor3.JPG

:D

hmm... not sure yet. I think I'll just use the ol r290 but I need to convince some other ppl that it is safe first. ;) I tried to point out that the stove and water heater uses propane, but they pointed out that the stove doesnt run at 200psi. Nogotiations sort of broke down from there.

Edit:
I read "whatcha gona use it in" as whatcha gona use in it. Doh. I am going to start by making a simple one stage one evap system for my old 3.2 478 pin system. Hope this better answers your question. :) I have access to a machine shop where I work, and the machinist trusts me on the mill, so I'm gonna make the evap after hours. Maybe tuesday.

Last edited:
I can understand two openings, input/output, but what is the third?
The third one is probably the service line. It's normally used if there are no service nipples.

It may, however, by something like an oil return/equalization line or even a motor cooling line. Check the documentation.

BTW, they often call the low side the suction side and the high side the discharge side. (Makes sense as that's what the compressor does. Incidentially, the suction side also sucks away heat and the discharge side discharges it to the surroundings.)

Oh, and I remember that if a known substance in a tube is either evaporating or condensing, it's possible to determine the pressure inside by putting temperature sensors on the outside of the tubes and then doing some math. It could save you some money on the monitoring circuitry as temperature sensors are usually cheaper than pressure sensors.

Can you take a clearer picture of the side of the compressor with the two labels? It may say what the different lines are for.

Last edited:
The one in the back, by the capacitor is your service tube... This is where you will put the low side schrader valve used for charging and reading the low side pressure.. The other two right next to one another are your return and discharge.. Usually your return tube will have a bigger ID than the discharge, but Easiest way to find out is once you are reading to braze things on, turn the compressor on just for a split second and you will be able to tell which one is which...

Zork said:
The one in the back, by the capacitor is your service tube... This is where you will put the low side schrader valve used for charging and reading the low side pressure.. The other two right next to one another are your return and discharge.. Usually your return tube will have a bigger ID than the discharge, but Easiest way to find out is once you are reading to braze things on, turn the compressor on just for a split second and you will be able to tell which one is which...

It really shouldn't matter if you leave it on for a minute or two, I don't know why you would, but so long as it has oil in it it'll run fine.

Thanks for the help guys, I don't think I would have found that tip with any amount of reading the guides. This is going to be my first attempt at phase change, and though I think I got it all figured out, sometimes I get something screwy like 3 tubes.

The tecumseh webpages rates it at 1/5 HP and 1530btu/hr. This is a quite a bit lower than your guess. Did I get one too small?

Edit: A darn, I think I did. The BTU/Hr is very dependent on evap temps right? There is no mention of the evap temp for the 1530 BTU/Hr rating, but I'm guessing it is 25F. I'll probably be lucky to pull down to -10F with this thing.

Last edited:
Well its a good think I only spent 38 bucks shipped. Right now I dont know if I should just go with this one and see what happens or get a 1/2 hp compressor.

1/5 is a bit small, especially for a 3.2e with a good overclock. You should still be able to get pretty decent temps though. Being that the compressor is a little small, you might want to invest a bit more in your refrigerant to make up the difference.

LabRat23 said:
The tecumseh webpages rates it at 1/5 HP and 1530btu/hr. This is a quite a bit lower than your guess. Did I get one too small?

Edit: A darn, I think I did. The BTU/Hr is very dependent on evap temps right? There is no mention of the evap temp for the 1530 BTU/Hr rating, but I'm guessing it is 25F. I'll probably be lucky to pull down to -10F with this thing.

It'll work fine man, I was just geussing off of the LRA rating, which isn't a very accurate thing to do. :)

Thanks sandman, care to guess what temps I can get from this compressor? If a 1/3 or 1/2 will give me much better temps, I'll get one.

WEll, that's depends on alot things.

Chilly1 uses similar power compressors for his single stage systems, and they pull lower than -50C idle temps. Course that's with R402/R410/R507, but even with R290, -40C idle should definatly be doable.

Well I found a local Johnstone Supply store in my hometown but when I walked in they asked me if I was a contractor. I, being a honest person, said no. After that, I couldnt even get them to speak to me. Its been a long time since I've been that mad.

Now I have heard that chilly1 has a little side buisiness selling parts to ppl on the forum. I created an account today over at XS. Now I'm just waiting for it to get processed so I can PM chilly1. Another half a week lost....

Yeah, Chilly1 is a great guy if you ever need help with your phase change stuff. He sells a complete kit for setting up a phase change unit if I remember right........ you'll need to have classifieds access to look at the parts, but I'm sure he'd make a deal through PM if you asked him.

Back