• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe to run Sanyo Denki off Mobo pin header?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JasonDTM

I'm getting a Heatercore combo from Weapon, and I'm wondering if it is safe to run the fans off of the motherboard header, or even both for that matter, Mobo is K8N Neo2... Just wondering what I could use as I dont have any 3 - 4 pin adapters at the moment

I'd bet that they draw too much power. the only 12v San Ace I could find that pushes 100cfm draws 0.61A. I believe most fan headers are good up to .5A. So I wouldn't chance it.

I'm pretty sure Weapon is using the Sanyo-Denki 109R1212H1011. These are rated at .52A, but I'd run them off the PSU through a controller of some type. MSI doesn't appear to provide any specs on their fan headers (I downloaded the manual and it doesn't say a thing) so I wouldn't risk it. Generally when a manufacturer avoids giving specs, the specs aren't very good. If the specs were good they'd be bragging about it :)

Regardless of the motherboard manufacturer or specs you are asking for trouble to draw .52A from a fan header. Nevermind that you won't want to listen to the Sanyos at their full 2600rpm. I use them as case fans in my machine, with a temperature-dependant variable speed controller that runs them between 1100 and 1900rpm. At one moment you didn't have the fans either; get the proper stuff and do the job right.

It depends on mobo - some mobos have in manuals data like 4W max, but for example some ASUS mobos according to datasheets should survive even >10W fans.

Back