• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interim Video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

Well I am going to be going NF4. Sadly though, that means my X800 will be useless... which makes me mad. But anyhow, I need to get a PCI-E card for the interim while I sell my X800 and get a Good PCI-E card with the money I get and save up.

So, I am looking at the 6600. Is it any good? Or is it crap compared to the GT? Or can I just OC it to a GT? help me out :) I am not a Geforce person so I don't know.

the 6600 when overclocked heavily will be probably at the level of a stock 6600gt. you will notice a BIG difference from your x800 though. you might wanna check the 6600gt, as they are cheap, and can be SLI'd for less then th eprice of a 6800gt.

The only difference between 6600 and GT is the SLI connector and different clocks, but they both run on P212 PCB. I would suggest that you get 6800NU and you can softmod it into 6800GT or if you are really low on budget you can do the same thing with 6200 to 6600.

Cheator said:
Really? Any non-TC 6200 I would assume? Also, does any 6800NU softmod to a GT?

The thing with softmoding is that sometimes you can do it just by using Rivatuner to unlock pipes and vertex shaders but you may get artifacts since the current BIOS don't provide enough voltages. To fix it you will need to find a correct BIOS of the card that you want to flash it to in order to work, not the easiest thing but it’s worth the effort.

Well I don't mind that. Softmodding my X800 Pro VIVO before was a sinch. It involved flashing a few times.

Cheator said:
Well I don't mind that. Softmodding my X800 Pro VIVO before was a sinch. It involved flashing a few times.

Then you’re set, just search around to see which manufacturer BIOS you can find for a certain card that you want to flash before you buy (like if you want to buy eVGA 6800 then look for eVGA 6800GT BIOS).

Cheator said:
What is the sucess rate? If I may ask...

Well you can't really tell but its pretty high (I know that sounds dumb). If you decide to go for 6800 I would suggest that you try and find ASUS one because they seems to work without actually doing nvflash since they use higher voltages then regular 6800, but if not then eVGA, BFG, XFX... also my PNY woked fine.
Try to look for 6800LE's if they are still around because some of them actually come with all pipes and vertex unlocked, but I doubt that you will find any.

Back