• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help chosing for $300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

honhon

Hey all. im buildin a new gaming rig. i dont want to say the word budget, but lets say i cannot spend the money on dual 7800's right now :santa:

so what im lookin for is a card roughly around $300 or lower range.

PCI-Express

Nvidia or ATI, it doesnt matter to me. this battle has to do with who has better performance for the money im lookin in.

so far, ive widdled it down to the Nvidia 6800gt PCI-E
and the ATI X800 series, i dont know too much about the X800 series yet, so i dont know what exact model ill be lookin for.... :shrug:

Please help! and thanks for all the info! :)

Care to go over a little bit?

eVGA Geforce 6800GT for $324

And if you definitely cannot go over, then go for:
Leadtek Geforce 6800GT for almost exactly $300, it has a better stock heatsink then the eVGA, but it depends if your going to OC it or not, if not go with the eVGA.

yeah i can go over alittle. my max threshold would probably be 350$ and i couldnt go any higher.

and actually, i havent learned the science of overclocking a video card yet, so it probably wouldnt be overclocked.

i actually was lookin at the X800XL for a contender.

i actually also like the idea of the ATI genuine product, somehow, someway it makes me feal better than buying a evga nvidia. i mena i know its the same chipset no matter the company for either ATI or nvidia based cards and everything, but i just like the fact that ATI made the chipset and then they put the card out.

*~remembers to the guarantee skit on tommy boy~*

anyone know where i can get a review on this card? i like playing CS:S @ full graphics. and my nvidia 6800 base OEM model from a dell computer ran an average of 100FPS with all graphics full 1gb of ram and a 3.4 p4.....

thanks for all the info people!

cool thnx. this will save alittle money and not sacrafice any peformance hopefully so maybe i can go from a 3000+ venice to a 3200+ venice.

also one question..... which model would be right above the X800XL?

yeah, i just checked on newegg and its a bit more expensive. ill read deep into reviews on X800XL and see how it performs in the area i need it to perform in.

actually i just remembered that you need a pci-e card, i think that the x800xts are really hard to find in pci-e. the x800xl should be a solid choice though.

Wouldn't two 6600GT's OC'ed in SLI be more effective than one 6800GT OC'ed?

i may have to do that.... i dont have the cash now, so im gonna look into tiger direct's bill me later...

thanks for the heads up!

actually, ive been thinking about it, and i may wait alittle longer, and save the moola to get like a nvidia 7800.....?

BUt also a post from above, i wanted to reply about i was thinking of.

would 2 X nvidia 6600gt's in SLI be better than 1 nvidia 6800gt? (both PCI-E of course)

honhon said:
actually, ive been thinking about it, and i may wait alittle longer, and save the moola to get like a nvidia 7800.....?

BUt also a post from above, i wanted to reply about i was thinking of.

would 2 X nvidia 6600gt's in SLI be better than 1 nvidia 6800gt? (both PCI-E of course)
I actually think they are about equal.

Back