• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help chosing for $300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok, no biggy. i talked it over with my g/f last night and i think im gonna save up some extra moola.

so that way i dont have to say the word budget when building my system, but i cant go with dual 7800's lol. just 1 for starting. lol

but actually my system probably wont change much. check my sig, and thats what i wanna build.

honhon said:
ok, no biggy. i talked it over with my g/f last night and i think im gonna save up some extra moola.

so that way i dont have to say the word budget when building my system, but i cant go with dual 7800's lol. just 1 for starting. lol

but actually my system probably wont change much. check my sig, and thats what i wanna build.
Here is what if sli was perfect the 6600gt would be little faster, but if you take into consideration that sli doesn't work for every game, and some games don't take advantage of it at all and in the end all you get is a 6600gt when that happens. I suggest the 6800gt, you get constant performance in every game and needs less energy.

Avg said:
Here is what if sli was perfect the 6600gt would be little faster, but if you take into consideration that sli doesn't work for every game, and some games don't take advantage of it at all and in the end all you get is a 6600gt when that happens. I suggest the 6800gt, you get constant performance in every game and needs less energy.
agreed ^^, i do wish sli worked the same as two cards for every game (not just ones that support sli). that would be a lot better!

That review with the X800XL is not that accurate: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1808&page=3

They only reviewed one 6800GT and it was the MSI one, if they threw in any other 6800GT, such as a eVGA or BFG one, it'll outperform it by a lot.

I would still recommend the 6800GT for you, OC or not OC, it'll still perform better then the X800XL and still have the capabilites to OC if you find interest in the future.

darksparkz said:
That review with the X800XL is not that accurate: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1808&page=3

They only reviewed one 6800GT and it was the MSI one, if they threw in any other 6800GT, such as a eVGA or BFG one, it'll outperform it by a lot.

I would still recommend the 6800GT for you, OC or not OC, it'll still perform better then the X800XL and still have the capabilites to OC if you find interest in the future.

yeah, im still wanting to stay with an nvidia platform, b/c ive had more of their cards so feals more familiar, and i like the future idea of SLI.

darksparkz said:
I really doubt that the brand is going to make that much difference.

Vulcan said:
I really doubt that the brand is going to make that much difference.

the only way i would see it would make a difference is if it was some off no-name really generic brand.

honhon said:
the only way i would see it would make a difference is if it was some off no-name really generic brand.
Well there are some brands that are more liked by overclockers, like Gainward for nVidia or Build by ATI cards are usually of better quality.

Back