• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wth is going on???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bboyfobulous

okae i bought 2 leadtek 7800 GTX gpu's ....and a seasonic 600w powersupply .... here's my problem... I wanted to see how much better dual cpu's did vs a single gpu.. so i tested one of the gpu's on the cs:source 'video stress test' and got ~123 fps .... I was like ..wow! nice!! ...so i expected those numbers to skyrocket when i put in the other gpu....installed all things needed for the dual setup and ran the cs:source test....i got a consistant ~119 ... i was like wtf ??? one is better than two ?!?!? why did i buy the SLI mobo and extra gpu and better psu ?!?! someone help me!!!

Did you enable sli, also if you did, it could be that your your being bottlenecked by your cpu at the current settings, and with sli there is increased latency and that would have caused the lower fps running sli.

sounds like bottlenecking to be too, i ran SLI-7800gtx's till i noticed one card did better and less heat. Even with my setup in my sig my CPU still bottlenecked the SLI.

AsusLover said:
sounds like bottlenecking to be too, i ran SLI-7800gtx's till i noticed one card did better and less heat. Even with my setup in my sig my CPU still bottlenecked the SLI.

I don't think so.

Maximum PC tested 2 7800Gt's in sli and solo and the sli was bottlenecked by their fx-55 at stock, but it did get 50% more frames than the single.

It sounds like something is not set up right.

Quailane said:
I don't think so.

Maximum PC tested 2 7800Gt's in sli and solo and the sli was bottlenecked by their fx-55 at stock, but it did get 50% more frames than the single.

It sounds like something is not set up right.

we're talking 7800 GTX's not GT's and there is not a benchie that i've looked at besides 3dmark and chronicles of riddick that the SLI got 50% more frames. At best i've seen maybe 20 fps at ultra high res's.

well here's my system setup:

AMD64 3200+
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Corsair 2x 1G Twinx2048-3200c2pt RT (XMS platinum series)
2x Leadtek 7800GTX @ 430/1.3
Seasonic 600w psu
and no overclocking

I think your CPU is bottlenecking those 7800GTXes. CS-S test is usually CPU bound, try running 3dmark05, there I bet you will see the difference.
And I think SLI uses some CPU power to distribute the load on 2 graphics cards so in CPU limited game you will see small drop in performance versus single card. Thats just my conclusion.

okae i tried oc'in my cpu and retested it with the cs:source test....originally it tested at 118 fps (cpu @ 2.0 GHz) ...then it went to 124 fps (cpu @ 2.1 GHz) .... so i'm thinkin it is bottleneckin at the CPU .... if that's the case (mind you i'm very power hungry :drool: ) ...should i fork up the cash for a fx-57 now ??? or wait till something better comes along in the near future ???

If I had the buy I would either buy the FX57 or something with the san diego core, because there is always going to be something better in the near future.

what resolutions are you running at? do you know what core your CPU is? how do they compare in other things games, and benchmarking utilities.

Also you have to consider 120fps is beyond what you can see anyway, so maybe you should crank up the settings a little more

even if the CPU is the bottleneck, I would think you would still get a couple more FPS from 2 cards

changed a few things and now running a lil better:

resolution 1280x1024 (maximum screen resolution)
AMD64 3200+ venice core @ 2.2GHz OC'd .... (don't wanna go too much higher w/o sufficient cooling)
2x Leadtek 7800GTX's @450/1250 OC'd ....

ran the cs-s test again ...now getting 135 .... vs the original 118
also ran 3dMark05 and got 9900 ...is that any good ??

Back