• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

!@#$ I scratched my x800 video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diesel722

Registered
I was installing a new cpu heatsink and while trying to pry off the old one my screwdriver slipped and i put a tiny little scratch on the back of my ATI All-In-Wonder 800XT circuit board (I know, :bang head ), the scratch crosses about 3 tiny little circuits. I might be able to get it RMA'd but Im afraid they will reject it if they see the scratch. I do have some soldering experience, but I think the circuits are too small and to close together so I would have a hard time keeping the circuits separated... so... any suggestions? :eh?:

Kill_A._Byte said:
I would think you could fix the circuits the same way you would jump the bridges of an Athlon CPU with tape and rear window defogger repair paint. Tape off one circiut at a time and paint em. :shrug:

hmm, sounds like something that could work. I'll see if I can find any more details about that. Thanks...

ok found some info here: http://www.overclockers.com/tips475/
I dont see why this wouldnt work for my situation.. I think I'll give it a try. Have to wait until monday to buy some rear window defogger repair paint tho unfortunatly...

Last edited:
Diesel722 said:
I was installing a new cpu heatsink and while trying to pry off the old one my screwdriver slipped and i put a tiny little scratch on the back of my ATI All-In-Wonder 800XT circuit board (I know, :bang head ), the scratch crosses about 3 tiny little circuits. I might be able to get it RMA'd but Im afraid they will reject it if they see the scratch. I do have some soldering experience, but I think the circuits are too small and to close together so I would have a hard time keeping the circuits separated... so... any suggestions? :eh?:

You didnt say if you even tried it on to see if there are anyproblems?

Yeah try it first. Depending on how deep the scratch is, it may still work fine and you only scraped the laquer finish off the PCB.

I accidently scratched some of the finishe off my 6600GT. Scared the hell out of me but the card worked fine. Look how deep the scratch is. Get a magnifying glass and see if you actually severed the contacts. If you didnt then I wouldnt worry too much.

JT

ati said:
You didnt say if you even tried it on to see if there are anyproblems?

Yeah sorry, I forgot to mention that lol. The card works but there is a lot of artifacts/streaks/junk over the whole screen right from bootup. The scratch is fairly deep, but not very long. It goes down deep enough to go thru the green top of the circuit board so the scratch is white. it severs about 3 circuit lines. I guess I'll try to get it warrantied before I try anything myself. Luckily I have a ATI 8500LE as a backup to hold me over for now. I might be able to get it RMA'd from the wholesaler I bought it from (I already emailed them) and if that doesnt work then I'll try directly with ATI.

Damn that sucks. Some here would say since you damaged the card yourself, you voided the warranty and trying to return it may be as good as stealing which drives up the price for everyone else. :shrug:

If you are ok with this moral dilemma then go ahead. Otherwise try to fix the problem yourself and cut your losses.

Just a warning as some of our members are very against this sort of thing and are not afraid to let you know.

JT

Back