• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my video card is about to kick the bucket.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did run a few ASUS Realbench stress tests, cinebench and a couple Heaven, Valley, and Superposition without any problems. Seems like it's just games and it can take up to 3 hours before a problem. I run RivaTuner during my games and it never is a memory or temp. issue.

Run memory benchmarks and monitor DRAM DIMM temps. I know for a fact if those are Samsung B die and they get over 40-45C they might cause the same error. I’m still think it’s PSU. I have seen everything under the sun spawn from a bad PSU.

It’s either got to bed degraded cpu, bad ram, bad PSU, bad gpu. Software would be the last place to look at if I were you since you told me that you reinstalled windows.l but don’t count it out.

Also can you test with just 1 stick of mem?

So, the short of it is...

1. The problem that you said was corrected earlier in the thread, is not, correct? You are still having the black screen issue?
2. Did you run a CPU stress test and GPU stress test (lke heaven/valey/supposition) at the same time to rule out PSU? I really don't think it is the PSU, but, you can see fairly quickly and rule it out once and for all then move on.
3. Does it happen if Rivatuner isn't running? Does it happen in all games or just a one? A couple?

No, not black screen. The game will just freeze, sometimes I can get out of it by pushing alt+tab other times I have to do a hard reset. Tried a cpu+gpu stress test and it doesnt happen. It happens if Rivatuner is running or not. All games.

With this being so random I am leaning towards as degraded mem controller or DIMM. Maybe even a mobo but let’s not go that far yet. I still want a mem test done. Memtest86 would be what I would do but HCI may be better. HCI would allow you to monitor temps as it runs in windows.

No, not black screen. The game will just freeze, sometimes I can get out of it by pushing alt+tab other times I have to do a hard reset. Tried and a cpu+gpu stress test and it doesnt happen. It happenes if Rivatuner is running or not. All games.

Did u blow out dust from the PCIE slot??? Try that too. Makes me think a bad GPU or PSU with that but of info. Can you swap out to a different GPU?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not black screen. The game will just freeze, sometimes I can get out of it by pushing alt+tab other times I have to do a hard reset. Tried a cpu+gpu stress test and it doesnt happen. It happens if Rivatuner is running or not. All games.
Ok, we are getting somewhere.. :)

I'll let you and tekjunkie go at it with his ideas while I take a break. Go get em! :)

I need a list of you full system specs and the monitoring programs you use. I’m using tapatalk and I can’t see these things.

I keep all my parts including the case clean. Twice a month I dust it out. The mobo gpu seems to work fine. Nothing you can find out in 15 min. so I'm just going to drop it off at Micro Center today. Hook my laptop up to my main monitor for the time being. I will run memtest86 first though. How long should I let it run?

I keep all my parts including the case clean. Twice a month I dust it out. The mobo gpu seems to work fine. Nothing you can find out in 15 min. so I'm just going to drop it off at Micro Center today. Hook my laptop up to my main monitor for the time being. I will run memtest86 first though. How long should I let it run?

I wouldn’t take it to micro center. It’s fun to do it yourself and you get to learn from it.
Run it for at least 30 mins

tek. my specs are as follows.. Intel i7-7700k
ASUS Maximus Hero IX
GSkill TridentZ RGB 16 GB DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio 2080
Corsair h100i
Samsung 960 Evo 250gb Windows 10 Home
Crucial MX500 1tb
WD Black 1tb
Corsair hx1000i
Cooler Master H500P Mesh

I use Coretemp, Afterburner to keep my gpu temps lower with a custom fan curve and RivaTuner. Oh , and Kaspersky Total Security.

Let memtest86 run 4 sets of tests.

tek. my specs are as follows.. Intel i7-7700k
ASUS Maximus Hero IX
GSkill TridentZ RGB 16 GB DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio 2080
Corsair h100i
Samsung 960 Evo 250gb Windows 10 Home
Crucial MX500 1tb
WD Black 1tb
Corsair hx1000i
Cooler Master H500P Mesh

I use Coretemp, Afterburner to keep my gpu temps lower with a custom fan curve and RivaTuner. Oh , and Kaspersky Total Security.

Stop using all those programs and test again. I know there used to be or still if a issue with some ASUS boards and monitoring applications that can cause a variety of errors. If had mine stop my fans from spinning before. Luckily I have my case on my desk and just happen to look over. My CPU temps were at 75C. That was freaky but I didn’t crash. The H100i is a hell of a AIO but she’s also old.

I like your specs. Let’s see if we can figures this one out though.

Back