• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my video card is about to kick the bucket.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not sure what the problem is.

Hi all. So what I thought was a gpu problem may actuallly be a cpu problem. Or, maybe something else. I thought I knew somewhat about pcs but apparently not. I really need to get that cert. So now all the RGB is working right but the temps are a bit high for stock. The cpu and gpu are both at stock and with Asus realbench or cinebench I'm reaching temps around 68c, -73c. Doesnt seem right since I was maxing those at an oc of 5.0Ghz. I reapplied paste twice, no changes. Gpu temps are great at max 62c with my custom fan profile. But still after all of that all games crash to desktop anywhere from 5 to 30 min. I've tried WoW, GTA5, BF5 and Metro Last Light. If you guys have ANY ideas please share them with me before I take this thing back up to Micro Center and get charged. If you have any questions or need anymore info just ask. Love yall!

I have no idea how, at 5GHz, you were hitting such low temps in those applications.

Are you set to AUTO now on your system and is the voltage going up? What was the voltage at when running 5 GHz? Now? Chances are it is hitting higher voltage and therefore raising temps..... that;s how it works. Check.

Last edited:
It was running at 1.29 for 5.0 and stock it runs auto. Usually 1.06.
Confirm that value as it seems awfully low for stock.

Please post a screenshot of Hwmonitor that shows vcore. Have it up and running before your applications, run it, and then capture the screenshot. This way it shows idle and load voltage.

What case do you have? My 1070 with a custom (silent to my ears) fan curve maxes out at 55 with a room temp of 75F. Stock fan has it only at 62C.

What CPU to you have again? My 4670K at 4.5ghz maxes out at 50C with a AIO.

Have you done a mem test?
Have you checked windows event viewer for any reason at all?
You could try reseat the CPU and RAM and GPU.

What cert do you want? I’ve been doing this for 15 years and do IT now I have not very, just my brains. I also work on lasers... not cert.

About 10 years ago I had a friend that had a BSOD and couldn’t get into Windows. Went over to his house and pulled out the sound card and it worked fine. Put sound card back on and it worked fine for another 4 years at least. The connectors can get corrosion on them over time. I do that every year or ever time I get in my computer. I do the CPU ever time I need to apply paste which I do every 2 years.

My signature tells you my setup. I have not done a memtest. I have checked event viewer everytime it happens and nothing out of the ordinary. I have reset the cpu , gpu and ram 3 times. I want to to get the c++ cert. Everytime I reset the cpu I applied new paste. Gelid GC Extreme.

Your signature doesn't tell me what I asked about.... Please confirm the voltage you see while under load using the method I described...

tekjunkie28 said:
Have you done a mem test?
Have you checked windows event viewer for any reason at all?
You could try reseat the CPU and RAM and GPU.
How does this helkp with high temperatures outside of reseating the CPU?

Looks like you are hitting 1.21V...in the ballpark of your 1.28V...

WHat is the issue again? Why not dial up the overclock again if the GPU problem wasn't really an issue?

Spose I could. But as you said before don't up the voltage/change hardware if there is already a problem. The issue is games freeze up after so long, sometimes it can take as long as 2-3 hours. I'm planning on taking the pc in to Micro Center today so I don't want an overclock on it. Risk them saying I caused it, and I'll be out out a mobo and cpu which is bull**** considering I paid for the 2 year warranty and for now it's still effective.

Last edited:
I'm confused... I thought that problem was resolved as you said in a previous post... now its only temperatures, right??????????
The black screen was fixed but then came the 90+ temps.
So.....is it still happening, the original problem?

I also want to clarify that getting a coding cert, c++ you mentioned, has nothing to do with hardware.... you need to look at A+ for basic hardware.

I'm more confused, temps in the screenshot look completely normal to me (especially with World of Warcraft running in the background) ? Random freezes like that smell like memory or PSU issues or in case it's OC it would be unstable ? If you set everything to stock double check if the CPU cache isn't auto overclocking and trying to keep pace with the CPU, it would make it unstable.

I'm more confused, temps in the screenshot look completely normal to me (especially with World of Warcraft running in the background) ? Random freezes like that smell like memory or PSU issues or in case it's OC it would be unstable ? If you set everything to stock double check if the CPU cache isn't auto overclocking and trying to keep pace with the CPU, it would make it unstable.
Sweet jiminy christmas... I sure hope he wasn't playing a game and took that shot....:-/

Again... we want......

Load up Hwmonitor, then run Cinebench or whatever else you mentioned. Once it is done, then post the hwinfo screenshot.

Do you understand what we are trying to see, Tickle?

My signature tells you my setup. I have not done a memtest. I have checked event viewer everytime it happens and nothing out of the ordinary. I have reset the cpu , gpu and ram 3 times. I want to to get the c++ cert. Everytime I reset the cpu I applied new paste. Gelid GC Extreme.

Well if it was me I would reinstall windows at this time. Clean slate. The install chipset, gpu, and storage drivers in that order. Then do all the other drivers and turn off windows auto driver install.

I want to believe it’s a software issue but the fact that event viewer isn’t picking anything up is a little concerning.

Are you willing to do a clean install of windows?

Yep. I agree here is that it could be a PSU issue. In fact I would do that 1st before I tried a new windows install. I have seen many odd system issues from a bad PSU.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a clean install yesterday. I will do another HWmonitor shot. I thought the random game crashes were gone, but they're not. And now the temps are higher. (ED, I raised the cv to 1.28 and the temps are even worse now. Maybe the AIO is dying? It is pretty old to be honest. I'll check the cpu cache. Screenshot (2).png

I did a clean install yesterday. I will do another HWmonitor shot. I thought the random game crashes were gone, but they're not. And now the temps are higher. (ED, I raised the cv to 1.28 and the temps are even worse now. Maybe the AIO is dying? It is pretty old to be honest. I'll check the cpu cache. View attachment 207887

Well your temps are in line. They are below the TjMax so I wouldn’t worry.

Next is either a bad mobo or a bad PSU.

Also the AIO can evaporate water out... or so I’ve heard. If it’s over 4 years old I’d toss it. I personally can’t afford the risk. I have to have a reliable PC.

Is there a way to check my PSU without any equipment?
Software isn't reliable on voltages and the $20 testers don't show anything but the voltage, so, not really.

I also believe it is NOT the PSU as the symptoms don't send me there.

Didnt you run a stress test and loop unigine heaven previously and it worked? If it doesn't crap out that way, then it isn't the PSU.

I ask again, Tickle, can you please post a screenshot like was asked? What does your second screenshot show us, man??? It looks like Cinebench wasn't run? So confused....

Please, we are free help... please follow instructions so we can help you efficiently. :)

Last edited:
Back