• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 2x7800-GTX eVGA cards do not work!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I just got these today and they dont' work. In SLI they garble the display. In single card mode they produce nothing! Nada a.k.a. blcak screen. Yes I moved the jumpers from SLI to single and then back again. I even cleared the Cmos..still the same. I tried them with the drivers left in the OS and then removed. The even wierder thing is that my 2x6800U's run perfectly fine. Nothing is changed in the system other than the cards.

I called eVGA tech support and they said it was probably a power supply issue. I am running a Enermax 535w Wisper 2 SLI & NV apporved psu. The tech guy said that Nv recommends a 500 to 550 watt PSU for SLI'ed GTX's. Sooooooo, I am right in the middle. ??? I did just buy the SinTek 600w SLI PSU with a 708w peak from Xoxide. If that doesnt' solve th eproblem then I am sending the cards back to ZZF...I'll have to wait several weeks I'm sure... :rolleyes: They arent' on the top of my Vendor list.

2x7800gtx.jpg

that sux man :(
you can send a card to me and id be more than happy to test it...

Here is a shot of the "killer Nvidia IQ" at its finest.

DSCF0352.jpg

Sorry about your dilemma. This does not sound like a power supply issue to me; rather, I think it to be either something that is driver-related or perhaps two bad cards. Typically, eVGA is on top of their game, and they also have an excellent lifetime warranty. I'm sure that, once you conclude that the PSU is not at fault, they'll be able to do something for you.

deception``

That looks like what would happen when the refresh rate was too high on a CRT. Can't really help ya out though, since I have never used or actually seen SLI in action.

Ya you can send em to me for testing.. Or ill send my pc power and cooling sli psu if u pay for shipping, since it just sits here on my desk anyways..

krag said:
I just got these today and they dont' work. In SLI they garble the display. In single card mode they produce nothing! Nada a.k.a. blcak screen. Yes I moved the jumpers from SLI to single and then back again. I even cleared the Cmos..still the same. I tried them with the drivers left in the OS and then removed. The even wierder thing is that my 2x6800U's run perfectly fine. Nothing is changed in the system other than the cards.

I called eVGA tech support and they said it was probably a power supply issue. I am running a Enermax 535w Wisper 2 SLI & NV apporved psu. The tech guy said that Nv recommends a 500 to 550 watt PSU for SLI'ed GTX's. Sooooooo, I am right in the middle. ??? I did just buy the SinTek 600w SLI PSU with a 708w peak from Xoxide. If that doesnt' solve th eproblem then I am sending the cards back to ZZF...I'll have to wait several weeks I'm sure... :rolleyes: They arent' on the top of my Vendor list.

2x7800gtx.jpg

That tech was a freaken idiot. If the cards black scene at boot single card the cards are hosed period.

You have plenty of PS to run a pair in an SLI. Total wattage is not the real factor but how is distributed amoung the rails. There are 600w rated supplies out there that have 12V rails so weak they couldn't power a pair of woodpeckers at the same time.

I've run a pair of OC'ed 7800 in an SLI here using both an Enermax EG465P (460w with a 33A 12V rail) and an OCZ 520 adjustable (500w with 33A 12V rail).

The SinTek is a nice supply but is as expensive as all get out because of all the bells and whistles but it only has 34A 12V rail for all that money.

Viper

Yeah, it sounded stupid to me too but I have wanted a better PSU for awhile now. :)

So do you think I should just send these boat anchors back??

With each card in single mode I get a loooong bios beep. With both together it boots normal to the garbeled screen.

krag said:
Yeah, it sounded stupid to me too but I have wanted a better PSU for awhile now. :)

So do you think I should just send these boat anchors back??

If they are black screening at boot and the 6800's work you betcha!

Viper

krag said:
With each card in single mode I get a loooong bios beep. With both together it boots normal to the garbeled screen.
The beep means something. Check the codes for your manual.

Like others, I doubt its the PSU, as that should handle a single card fine.

2 bad cards? In the same shipment? I would'nt say that is impossible, but the odds of that are very low unles a whole shipment of cards was somehow damaged. With QC that would almost be impossible.

What is mysterious is that the 6800's will boot though. I was about to say that something in the system was causing it. It is extremely rare to get two bad electronic devices at the same time.

Yeah, the whole thing is very puzzeling. Why would they black screen in single but when in SLI they produce some type of signal...even though its garbeled.

I did get a free eVGA NF4 SLI mobo with them. Maybe swap mobos

@ViperJ, the PSU I have now does have 2 12v rails...both 18a on each rail. I asked the tech about it and he said that wouldnt' be a problem.

Last edited:
Ah...nVidia at its finest...J/K. I agree with ViperJohn on this one. Your PSU is fine. You could probably get away with running a 450watt and a basic system. One HDD, few fans, etc...But c'mon now, your PSU was in that range and it sounds like that guy didn't know jack!

yeah the tech didnt' sound to confident nor informed

THe chances of 2 cards being DOA is probably astronomical...unless there was a bacth of screwed cards that were meant for the scarp pile...btu got sent anyways.

Have you measured the rails to see if the PSU is putting out what it should. Maybe the PSU is failing, or the rails are low, or may be getting weak.

I would think a 450watt should be enough, but maybe it's not putting out what it should for some reason.

I don't want to say that it's not bad cards, but I'm finding it very hard to believe that 2 brand new cards ordered at the same time are bad.

The only way I could see this happening with QC in place is for a bad lot to get mis-scanned as a lot slated for shipment. You may want to ask the reseller where you got it from if they are getting an unusually high volume of returned eVGA 7800's.

I havent' checked them with a Multi for awhile but I will now that you mention it.

*edit* Nice solid rails, 12.15v on the 12v rail and 5.17v on the 5v rail on my multi meter.

Back