• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800 GTX and 7800 GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stavros

Take the view of moderate gamer who can't tell 5 fps from 15 fps. Is it worth saving $200 (roughly) to get the 7800 GT?

just got a BFG 7800GT, and a buddy of mine has the BFG 7800GTX, there is a small difference (like 20 fps MAX) so you decide if that 20 fps is worth almost $150. (to some people it is)

I was going to get the GT but the GTX was only about $60 more for the eVGA cards at Newegg. Not only do you get the faster GPU and Memory speed but you also get 4 more pipelines.

It will be worth it in future titles when the extra pixel performance from the 4 pipes kick in.

I would buy the 7800GT,since you indicated that a small difference is not noticeable to you. I would then maybe upgrade to SLi when the prices do go down. On the other hand if you are like me a 7800GTX does matter, and more games will keep coming that need a lot more pipelines in the future. Plus 7800GTX will be cheaper in the future, so you can go SLi with that also for pwnage in gaming! Lol.

What is your cpu?

I'd say definately the GT. They all seem to overclock past stock GTX speed and no you don't notice the difference. And the money saved over any small difference is far far more worthwhile.

DeepScience said:
What is your cpu?

I'd say definately the GT. They all seem to overclock past stock GTX speed and no you don't notice the difference. And the money saved over any small difference is far far more worthwhile.

Well, there is a bigger difference than clock speed, 20 vs 24 pipes.

The GT is fine for about 99% of people who play computer games, and is better than 99.5% of what they have.

I'd go with the 7800GT unless money is of no concern to you. The premium you pay for the very best product is just not worth it unless you are a performance junkie. I will be building a gaming rig for my stepfather-in-law, and I have pretty much decided on the 7800GT. As someone else mentioned, I think it's the best bang-for-the-buck right now, and it will be more than enough to power games for at least the next 2-3 years.

Well, I don't know if the Athlon 64 3200+ will bottleneck the GTX, then again I plan on buying all my components on Blitz Day (first day after Thanksgiving where everything goes on sale). If the price goes down significantly I'll definitely be buying the GTX.

By the way, what's the lowest AMD processor that won't bottleneck the GTX?

Back