• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Its Winter Again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

Time to overclock my bad boy.

Now don't laugh. I don't have a venice amd like all you high tech dudes have but i have a winchester.

Heres what i managed to do.

Last winter I overclocked it to 2600 mhz (stock is 2000)

Summer killed the fun and I returned it to stock

Now winter is back and I have it currently at 2500 because its not quite uber cold winter yet.

Temps are about 105-110 idle 125 load

The most impressive thing i think is the voltage

1.345-1.378

thats amazing

I monitored the voltage playing three games and the HIGHEST it got was 1.394 and the lowest was 1.345.

THATS amazing with a 500 mhz overclock in speed.

Venice? I think not. Winchester still kicking major a$$.

Once i get my ati 850xt and little better memory ill be in the top 3d mark scores.

KAZZZZAH

I think its time to invest in better cooling if you couldn't keep that OC year round.... up that voltage, I run 2620MHz year round at 1.55v, from a stock of 1800 on my Winchester.

Nothing wrong with Winchesters, I'm gonna keep mine around till I can afford an X2.

....its like 90+ degrees outside here. Im not gonna run the ac 24/7 and its a waste of money for a water cooling system.

Big deal i go back to stock may-august and then overclock again sep-april

not that big of deal

AND its stock cooling heatsink.

Why up the voltage? It runs fine at what its at now. If it needed more if would use more. Why slowly zap it to death?

Its like giving a fan 50 amps instead of the 45 it needs (just making up the numbers for this example) giving the fan more power wont make it run faster but will kill it faster or instantly

Raising the voltage could probably yield a higher OC, if you can keep it cool, going from 1.375 to 1.45 won't kill your chip.... heck, even if it did reduce the life of the chip, it would be long obselete before it died. I can hit 2300ish MHz at stock voltage, but with a slight push to 1.45 I can hit 2500MHz, and a little more gets me over 2600. It gets warm here in the summer too, we get 80-90F weather commonly during the summer and even a decent air cooling would easily maintain my OC, I just water cool for fun and silence mainly, its not required.

So basically you only raise the voltage if you cant oc anymore?

I can easily oc to 2500-2600ish with stock voltage and run prime for hours on end with no problems.

Does that mean my voltage is fine for those levels?

Yes, you only need to up your voltage if you aren't stable at a certain speed, usually upping the voltage will make you stable. So say at 1.4v your stable at 2600, perhaps you could do 2700(or more) with 1.45-1.5.... those are just guesses, but are possible.

Back