• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire GTO2 Core Clock, can't exceed 472.5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voidbringer

Registered
Previously brought this up before looking for the source of my problem, here's the thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=422339
I went farther than necessary and decided to replace the stock HSF with Zalman VF700-CU using artic silver 5 as a TIM for the gpu, as well as the ram with the stock heatspreader on the opposite side and the zalman sinks on top. :)

Now the core temps only reach 52 degrees celsius at 472.5 Mhz but still locks. On the other hand, my memory now goes to 650 Mhz only reaching 46 degrees celsius.

Just a bad core? or am I yet still overlooking something? :bang head

Also, is there a way for me to connect the zalman's 3 pin motherboard connector to the card's tiny male 3 pin slot without cutting the lines and messing with it, an adaptor of some sorts? I would like to be able to control the fan speed through the card. Thanks for any help. :)

Well, I don't really think that temperatures are your problem. 62 degrees, like someone said in the linked post, is really not that high of a temperature for videocards, and certainly if you did not get any extra increase from installing your new cooler, it would stand to reason that the temperature is probably not the problem. I would suggest taking the card out, cleaning the connections, reseating the cooler, sometimes if you put it on too tightly it will impede your overclock, make sure there isn't any TIM on the area surrounding the core, reinstall the card, and try again. If it still does not go higher, reflash the bios to stock and try again. If you achieve better results, try a different bios. If not, you can be proud to be the owner of the worst performing x800 GTO2 card in existence. :clap:

Back