• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu glued to Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xplo

Registered
Hi all. The motherboard on my mates emachines went so I oferered to help and get a new mobo and install it for him. Received the new mobo today and proceeded to replace. I undone the retainer clips on the heatsink (this is on a 478 celeron btw) and tugged the heatsink upwards. It wouldnt budge and I knew instantly it was glued on. Anyway nothing else I could do so I tugged a bitt more and it flew out, with the cpu attached!! It had come out the socket without the lever even being pulled, it seems fine though. Now I have to try and get the glued cpu off the heatsink, I tried heating the heatsink up with a hairdryer and wiggling the CPU but it aint moving. Bearing in mind I dont want to break this thing can anybody suggest something, I have nail varnish remover, Cant really get a screwdriver under it as the gap is too thin!!

Are you sure its glue? Might it not be a thoroughly melted thermal-pad? The Hair Dryer should have worked, if so. Maybe try a razor blade?

I dont know what it is, But there is no gap between the spreader and the heatisnk cant actually even get a stanley through there. Gonna try heating again but it just aint budging. Thansk for your help

Find a way to clamp down the heatsink with a couple pieces of wood and a clamp. It would be better if you can have the wood touching the ends of the heatsink. Make sure you get the base of the heatsink covered by the wood so it can take a good amount of force. Below the processor put something that will catch it and not give it a static shock. A motherboard bag will work great. Place something up against the heatsink bottom surface so you won't scratch it. Take a large flat heat screwdriver and put on on the heat spreader up against the heatsink surface. Take a hammer and give it a good whack. If at first you dont succeed, whack harder the next time.

It's worked for me several times. The first time I didn't think about catching it with anything and I bent about 10-15 pins. :(

You could try freezing it in an airtight bag with the air expelled before freezing. Then try to slip a razor or credit card between the two.

I had to do that to a couple old video cards that were epoxied on.

Ok guys all your comments are helpful but there is a problem where nothing can fit between the heatsink and the spreader itself the gap is too thin. Im gonna try some of your ideas tho and i will report back shortly.

dont try to pull the chip directly off. grab hold of the cornerrs and twist. Thats worked for me before

also, if you have one of those industrial heat guns, like for melting paint and stuff, take that and heat up the heatsink really good, then try to twist it off.

and welcome to the forums bro! :welcome:

Take a small screwdriver and lever it off. You don't have to get under the heatspreader, the IHS is attached to the die far more securely than it is to the heatsink.

Do the hair drying thing, and clamp down the heat sink. Gently love tap it from all sides, might just need a lil push to get it loose. Think you can get some photos?

I can get some pics but not for a few days and you wont see it that clearly anyway. I will try your ideas thanks guys.

What socket?

My P4/478 pulled the chip out of the socket, scared the **** out of me at first but the chip was unharmed.

On both the P4 and a AMD 64 I was able to unscrew the retention bracket from the mobo this allowed me to slide the sink to one side where I was able to get some leverage between the two. As for stock thermal pads the slide trick is not going to work. But if you can unscrew the bracket, it may be possible to get leverage under the HS.

Thats what im going to do, take the bracket off and run it without the bracket, should be ok aslong as the pc doesnt go upright?? thanks guys.

Back