• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Okay, Presler 920 finally crashed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

Okay, maybe not.

So here goes...

After 4 hours of non stop gaming and benchmarks, the Presler 920 @ 3.5Ghz was running just fine, good temperatures and everything 44 idle - 56-57 peak.

Then when I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004, I got a blue page fault error screen. Basically it says unloading memory, and theres a timer that goes from 1, 2, 3, and so forth - what that means, I don't know; I had to push the reset button.

This also happened with my previous setup, P4 640 @ 3.5Ghz - the problem started happening when I modified the timing on my ram - So it changed it back.

Strangly enough, the same error occured again.

However, this time there is a twist. When I looked in my CMOS, the timing was fine, it was by SPD.

I figured, gee... maybe I need to up the voltage to the memory, so I did 1.8v (not a whole lot) I went to save CMOS setting and the entire system shut down (power off) then seconds later it came back on. For some reason NOW when I go to save settings in CMOS the power shuts off and comes back on.

I changed the FSB back to what it was by default (200 FSB) and the problem went away- I change it back to 250 FSB @ 3.5 Ghz and the problem came back.

What do you guys think? Memory problem or lack of power?

I just picked this new PSU last week, Enermax 485Watt

Just to be on the safe side, I switched everything back to default, 2.8Ghz :(

Last edited:
just a thought..
sounds like a problem I saw in a few XP machines about 4 months ago... did you get any driver updates from windows update? if so.. I would suggest going to the manifacures websites for them.. for some reason the ones mirosoft were spiting out were giving memory errors (my Win2Kpro machine had the same problem around the same time, I updated some drivers via windows update.. so my bad.. I knew better.. LOL )

greenmaji said:
just a thought..
sounds like a problem I saw in a few XP machines about 4 months ago... did you get any driver updates from windows update? if so.. I would suggest going to the manifacures websites for them.. for some reason the ones mirosoft were spiting out were giving memory errors (my Win2Kpro machine had the same problem around the same time, I updated some drivers via windows update.. so my bad.. I knew better.. LOL )

other than the first bsod he isn't even talking about going into windows before he is seeing problems. he is talking about just entering the bios and the computer shutting down when trying to save to cmos.

i agree ubi, if you feel safe try giving the processor a little bit more voltage...if that doesn't work you might have to back down your overclock or figure out if maybe the memory is causing errors...some memory just doesn't like additional voltage...some love it...sometimes it just depends on the particular board...that is why overclocking is an "art" :)

good luck with it

also...i would try running memtest...see if it gives errors at your overclocked setting

M, over about 240FSB, the P5WD2 Prem will ALWAYS do a hard reboot when saving from BIOS (ie. shut completely off and then turn back on). It's not something wrong, it's the way it is. That's why it does it/doesn't do flipping between 200FSB and 250FB.

The blue screen (BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death) is generally just an instability in OC....could be mem, clock, Vc, etc. Something probably just got a little irritated after 4 hours and gave in. I would say that you may need maybe one step more Vc or maybe *actually* turn the mem voltage up.

What the mem gets actual is LESS than what is set in BIOS. Also, 1.80V and AUTO are the same thing. I measured them a long time ago and this is what I found:

Vddr (BIOS setting = Measured):
AUTO = 1.757V
1.80V = 1.758V
1.90V = 1.819V
2.00V = 1.952V
2.10V = 2.030V
2.20V = 2.163V
2.30V = 2.223V

As you can see, going from AUTO to 1.80V does jack ;) If you are using the stock heatsink that came with the processor and plan on running loads like that for a long time and staying on air cooling, I'd 1) get a better air cooler and 2) try to get some more air flow through the case.

It doesn't sound like you had any major problem, but something needs a voltage bump and/or some more "breeze" ;)

Increasing RAM voltage up to 1.9v is perfectly safe and recommended. Also, try bumping up the vcore one notch, but watch CPU load temp.

If it is the Enermax Noisetaker 485w with dual +12v rails of 18/15A, I wouldn't put it past it being the problem. 15A isn't enough for P4 overclocking.

Yes, my PSU is the Noisetaker 485W.

Its good to know its not the PSU.

Okay, I brought the memory voltage up to 2.1V.

Last edited:
M Powered said:
Yes, my PSU is the Noisetaker 485W.

Its good to know its not the PSU.

he's saying it IS a problem. its a dual rail psu, so its has two 12v lines, one rated at 18amps, the other at 15a (if i read his post right).

what you may need to be successful is a single rail with say 25a+. the more the better, as long as its on one rail.

MCH (northbridge) voltage should be at 1.5v default. Certainly 1.6v is perfectly safe and maybe even try 1.65v. As for the termination voltage try bumping it up one or two notches and see if that helps.

Use the O/C speed and put the CPU under load. Monitor the 12v and 3.3v rails and report back with what you are seeing. That should help us determine if the PSU is holding or not.

Just to be safe, I'm going to change out the PSU for something beefier.

What would you guys recommend for a single rail?

batboy said:
Did you measure the voltage rails?

OCZ PowerStream 520W

Yes, I did measure.

In speedfan it showed under full load while running PCmark04 it varies from 12.25 - 12.3

The 3.3v did not move.

Vcore dropped down to 1.26v under full load, but most of the time it stayed at 1.3v

M Powered said:
Just to be safe, I'm going to change out the PSU for something beefier.

What would you guys recommend for a single rail?
head over to the psu section and you'll see a current discussion of PowerSteam520 and PPC 510 :cool:

Back