• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Okay, Presler 920 finally crashed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Doesn't the GeFORCE 7800 GT need 12V as well?
are you going to overclock the GT?

I almost don't see how it could be at that clock and if it were a heat issue, it would probably turn off and stay off.

Is the 7800 card at stock clocks? What all are you running when the reboot happens?

Ross said:
I almost don't see how it could be at that clock and if it were a heat issue, it would probably turn off and stay off.

Is the 7800 card at stock clocks? What all are you running when the reboot happens?

I was playing battle field 2

No, the 7800 is not at stock speed. 450/1.08Ghz.

batboy said:
Know Nuttin has a good point. Chances are you'll become more and more addicted to overclocking. While that PSU is "probably" ok at the moment, it don't have any room to grow with your system or future overclocking goals. If you can exchange it for something better, then by all means do so.

Hey BB, do you know if the OZC Powerstream is Dothan/Yonah ready? If so, I may as well bite the bullet and get one now and get some decent overclocking on CM/Presler while I wait.

How much fluctuations should the vcore voltage be when viewed under Cpu-z or other voltage monitoring software?

Mine goes from 1.32 - 1.36 load or idle, it goes up and down. Is that normal?

It's normal. it's not a great thing but it happens with just about all boards. The droop varies from board to board. Mine droops about .03v on load.

CPU is fed from +12v2 with dual rail PSU's. It changes when you go to quad rail setups.

Older systems were based off of 5v. The newer systems are more +12v based.

exactly as Know Nuttin said.. older systems used the 5V line and thats why so many power supplies have killer 5V lines and weak 12V lines.. it makes shopping for a PSU difficult to say the least..
I personaly would get a Sparkle for a good strong 12V single rail PSU.. there 550W models have 36 amps on the 12V line.. that should be plenty for overclocking the CPU and the Video card for just over 100 bucks on Newegg.. there is alot people that go with the OCZ and the monster(hehe) for the great reviews..
The new boards coming out with 8-phase power managment should help alot with fight vcore droop..
And check the rails on the PSU you do get..(with a DMM if you can) there is no telling how far off they might be.. they can be volt moded if nessisary to get the V you need.. but if you can still take them back for $ and order one with better specs I would go that route..

M Powered said:
How much fluctuations should the vcore voltage be when viewed under Cpu-z or other voltage monitoring software?

Mine goes from 1.32 - 1.36 load or idle, it goes up and down. Is that normal?

Vdroop under load is pretty normal on the recent asus mobos i have used. The difference is with the newest 945/955 asus boards is that the vcore stays stable under load. But you also need a good psu to get stable volts to the mobo under load.

The OCZ 520 powerstream (not the modstream!!) is a single 12V rail and very stable ... in fact also adjustable ... so i have mine set to deliver slightly over 12, 5 and 3.3 and they pretty much stay there under load.

It is the fluctuations in voltages that hurts your stability at OC speeds.

Another big draw on the psu these days can be the video card. In my 920 tests i am running an old low power and heat ati rage 8mb pci vid card. So it doesn't put much load on the psu. Some of the high end vid cards draw a lot of juice.

In fact, i am going to try one of my ocz powerstream 420's on this rig. I have been running my 830's on it just fine but on the p5ld2 ...most of my rigs are folding so they only have 1 hdd ... no cd or floppy. So I can get away with a cheaper but still stable psu. I expect the 420 will drive my p5wd2/920 ok at OC but will need to test to verify.

Since I expect your rig is your main one, then you probably need at least the 520 to handle more peripherals and your video. I have read threads where the p5wd2 would not even power up with a 465 w psu! Not all 465 w psu's are the same! Go for performance more than looks. There is a discussion on preslers and psu's in Sent's sticky i think, also some discussion in Ross's several recent threads on presler and CM.

I wanted to go bigger on the voltage on my PSU but the 12v-2 wasn't so great. This PSU, the one I have now (Antec Smart power 2.0 has the highest rating of all the PSU I looked at today (19A)

Even the more expensive ones didn't have such a high rating, 18A was the highest I saw, even from the so called "SLI PSU."

Anyways, I ran memtest for the past 3 hours and did about 12 passes and had 0 errors, that rules out memory.

So far so good on the new setting of bumping the voltage up 1 knotch.

I think my video card needs more juice.

Something interesting happened.

As stated before, my benches strangly went up, we thought it meant the system was more stable due to the voltage increase.. apparently it wasn't

What am I talking about? - I'm not quite sure.

Anyways, I just registered 3dmark05 and so I thought I give Aquamark 3 a run. The results were 76,668! , earilier today I got 86,747 :shrug:

So I logged the numbers, and decided to reboot - this time I thought I unplug my cable modem, just for ****s and giggles to see if anything happens. To awe of amazment, the numbers sky rocketed to 87,490 So I'm thinking at the moment that XP is transfering data which caused my benches to fall short. Curious I tried it again, rebooted and ran the benches one more time. This time it went down to 76,xxx again!! :argue:

Good thing I wrote down the results on both benches (high and low) here are the numbers, maybe someone has some answers and could help me diagnose the problem.

1st run - 76,xxx

GFX - 12,268
CPU - 10,091

2nd run - 86,xxx

GFX - 15,461
CPU - 9,924

3rd run - 76,xxx

GFX - 12,xxx
CPU - 10,xxx

Based on the results above, my CPU is just fine (phew) However, my video card shows dramatic decrease in speed.

Could this be due to loss of power? Why is it dropping 10k points? To the best description I can give, I would call it sporatic, because I am totally loss.

Anyhow, my 7800 GTX is coming tomorrow so I'll be installing that.

In the mean time I would like to diagnose the problem with my 7800 GT so the problem doesn't migrate to the new card.

Any ideas guys?

Nasgul said:

There's your problem, perhaps you need to try either 2.0 or 2.1, 1.8v is week for overclocking. Heck even for DDR when you're in the 250fsb+ rams needs 2.7v-to-2.9v and 3.0+ for 300fsb. So either 2.0v or 2.1v.

Just like ROSS says; 1.8v does jack. My modules are at 2.1v always. And try not to up the Vcore too much, if possible try leaving on stock for as long as it can hold on with it.
I've got experience with 2x1GB PQI modules and they don't like voltage at all. At 2.0v they started to overclock worse and at 2.1 and above they errored all over the place.
I would not call PQI quality memory, they barely made it to the specs. I might have got bad ones though.

Corsair 5400UL scales pretty well up to 2.6v, highly recommended :cool:

Last edited:
Man, I dunno. It looks like they are fighting each other for something though :) When the CPU does better, the GPU does worse and vice versa.

I dunno. My best guess is, if it's not heat bothering the proc or the vid card, it's probably power :shrug: Hopefully someone else more familiar with Aquamark can chime in...

Try dropping the vid card O/C down a little and see if that improves stability. You do have the extra power cable plugged into the vid card, right?

batboy said:
Try dropping the vid card O/C down a little and see if that improves stability. You do have the extra power cable plugged into the vid card, right?

I have one of those "modular" PSU's, the connection plugs right to the video card straight to the rear of the PSU through a PCI-E connection.

crotale said:
I've got experience with 2x1GB PQI modules and they don't like voltage at all. At 2.0v they started to overclock worse and at 2.1 and above they errored all over the place.
I would not call PQI quality memory, they barely made it to the specs. I might have got bad ones though.

Corsair 5400UL scales pretty well up to 2.6v, highly recommended :cool:

I ran memtest for at least 3 hours on 2.1v and it made 13+ passes with 0 errors - how can I test the speed to see if it OC's well or not?

Back