• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the heck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigTree

Hello, Hello

Everytime I go into the bios to OC it will restart, load the msi plat flash screen, wait 5 seconds than restart. So in other words it just keeps on restarting itself.

I change:
HT =4
FSB=below 250 (usualy 245)
AGP=66
Max memclock=133
Timing=1T

I make sure that
High Performance Mode: Disabled
Aggressive timing: Disabled
Dynamic Overclocking: Disabled
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
Cool'n'Quiet: Disabled

On to my specs I guess.

-Amd 64 3000+ Winchester
-Msi Kn8neo2 Plat (1.B bios)
-2x 512 corsair value memory (i know it sucks)
-9800 Pro (everything seems to think this card is a 9800 Xt but it definately is not)
-Audigy 2 Sound Card
-380 Watt Antec PS
-2x Dvd drives
-120 gig Sata
-80 gig Maxtor.
-2x120mm fans
-Temp usually no higher than 35C
-Windows XP

All pieces of hardware have the newest drivers, and scaned for viruses/spyware daily with 4 application (MS antispyware, Spybot, Adaware, Avg) I know before I could get the cpu up to 2400 mhz, but now i cannot even clock it one bit! After i flashed the Bios(used WinFlash), it seems that I had to re do all the newly installed drivers so I did. I am not sure it it makes a difference but it seems that my sound card isnt 100% but i will fix that in my own time.

Also if you are in the mood to read a bit more....
Lately my comp has been running slow as hell. Like a pig. So i got a 120 gig Sata hard drive and reformatted everything. I now run windows off of this sata drive and use the normal one for storage. I honesltly cannot feel a "speed increase" so to speak over before and after. For example my buddy with the same specs as me (diff MB is all) gets into Bf2 25 seconds before me (live 5 mins away, same Isp, modem...) My 3dmark 05 score was 2697. I seemed to lose everything in the 3d department. At times I was at a steady 1fps. This is with no AA, 1024x728 res.

Thanks alot and sorry for the novel but I have no idea what I need to tell you guys, what you care about, and what you need to know. I am just getting more and more frustrated by the second. Any and all replies are well appreciated.

I will look into it this week. Thanks alot for the super quick reply by the way!

Ooooo that one hurts. I guess i could run a mem test to determine that than, so excellent idea.

Got lazy and have not quite ran memtest yet. I do believe that problem is the bios reverting to trying to start my non-sata drive opposed to the Sata one. I will be playing with that tonight. But my computer seems to run REALLY slow. Like start up once windows loads is damn near 2-3 minutes alone! There is no way in hell this computer should be taknig that long. Also my sound card seems to not want to have anything to do with a microphone. But I am almost positive that has nothing to do with my current problem. Is it possible that my Sata drive could be configured wrong or setup wrong somehow?

I have new drivers for :
-Motherboard
-Video Card
-Processor
-Sound Card.

All were installed with Drivercleaner. Thanks for all and any input guys.

The 1B bios posted at MSI is defective. Do not use it reflash with the 1B sideeffect modded bios or the 1C Beta Sideeffect modded bios. You can find them here. Personally, I like the 1C but folks are a little skeptical of beta's.

Alright that seemed to help. The flash went perfect, quick and easy. Btw the 1C has a pretty cool booting screen. Desktop seems to load a bit quicker now, very very nice. Just 2 more problems so far.
1. I noticed while trying to OC after making sure everything works ok, that It just puts me into a constant reboot where i cannot get into the bios so i must turn it off than on again to get into bios than turn off the Oc's.

2. Every time i restart the system (had this with the old bios as well) it doesnt show me windows or anything, it just goes all black up until the login screen. I think i mentioned this before i think it is just a setting in the Bios or something? Thanks alot for the help rseven, you made one hell of a difference!

You are welcome BigTree, but it still sounds like you have some unresolved issues. When you go to OC, what are you changing in the bios? How high are you trying to go? The second issue is just a bios setting. In advanced bios features you have some choices about enabbling the boot screen. Sounds like it's disabled. Let me know the OC info and we'll go from there.
BTW, this link may be helful in terms of bios settings.

Thanks for the compliment, Xtreme Barton. The only reason I hang on to this board is it's the only thing I know anything about.:) However, the day of it's replacement is drawing nearer. (Not to loud, I don't want it to here me. ;))

This is what I am doing. Thanks again for the reply Rseven you are really helping me out.

I change:
HT =4
FSB=below 250 (usualy 245)
AGP=66
Max memclock=133
Timing=1T
High Performance Mode: Disabled
Aggressive timing: Disabled
Dynamic Overclocking: Disabled
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
Cool'n'Quiet: Disabled

All of that sounds fine, but obviously something isn't right. I would try clearing the cmos and then resetting it. You may still have some residuals from the bad bios. Good luck with it.

Ok I tried Oc'ing this time and I got a disk read error. I did notice however on doing the CMOS that my Sata drive is setup in port 1 or 2. I am not 100% sure or not but I think i remember reading that Sata works best on ports3/4. By port I obviously mean connector on the M/B sorry. I wii begin searching on this subject now. If anyone has any input that would be awesome.

Ok after some quick searching and refering to the owners manual about where these sata ports actually are I AM VICTORIOUS!!!!! I can now clock my comp MUAUAHAHAHAHAHA. So having your HD in sata1/2 can totaly inhibit one from ocing at all. I still think my sys. takes a bit long to start up but hey, maybe that is just me. Thanks you so much for your help everyone espscially you Rseven. Its now past 12am and i have to wake up in a few hours for work. Thanks so much again!!! Woot I am soo happy.

On a sidenote I still cannot get my sys. to boot normally after a reboot. It always restarts but shows me nothing until the logon screen. So i have a black screen for 30ish seconds as it boots. But i am so much happier that I can clock.!!!!

Back