• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cedar mill 651 thread... testing it out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

josh478

first impressions are that it cant multitask like the presler. no comparison, presler whips its butt in multitasking/multiple programs.

this thing CLOCKS like crazy. cranked fsb to 275 right off the bat, and it booted into windows. wasnt stable, so i added 2 notches of vcore(1.3375) and its running dual primes. this thing is a hot cpu... load temps are 49c which is crazy hot! my presler at 1.5vcore didnt even hit 40c. so its a hot cpu for sure.

it did super pi in 29sec. at 4.6ghz. its a good chip so far. i prefer the presler much more though and will be sticking with that. 651 is good for high clocks( hit 5ghz suicide, but i just dont like it for my every day use.

Last edited:
Once you get spoiled with dual core, it's hard to go back to single core. The multitasking abilities just make it so hard to leave dual core. I for one will not be going back to single core again. It will get even better when more apps are multithreaded.

I agree with the dual core scenario too, but as far as heat i would think the dual core would run a lot hotter than the single core. My 830D and 840D ran incredibly hot!! My 661 runs about 21°c Idle at stock speed and Idles around 35°c @4.7GHz. But as soon as the cpu starts to load the temps sky rocket to 55°c quickly! That's the one and only thing i don't like about this cpu, I've seen the temps jump 15° with about a 20% cpu load.

I'm currently selling my 661 to purchase a 930. So are you telling me the 9xx series chips run cool, not like the 8xx chips, those were crazy hotttt!

the 9XX are supposed to require less voltage which would indicate to me that they are a bit cooler

the 8xx are quite hot... my 820d oc'd to 3.56 ghz on stock volts and air runs 1 core load at 60 degrees but 2 cores it jumps to 72! yikes... cant wait to get water cooling setup

dylskee said:
I agree with the dual core scenario too, but as far as heat i would think the dual core would run a lot hotter than the single core. My 830D and 840D ran incredibly hot!! My 661 runs about 21°c Idle at stock speed and Idles around 35°c @4.7GHz. But as soon as the cpu starts to load the temps sky rocket to 55°c quickly! That's the one and only thing i don't like about this cpu, I've seen the temps jump 15° with about a 20% cpu load.

I'm currently selling my 661 to purchase a 930. So are you telling me the 9xx series chips run cool, not like the 8xx chips, those were crazy hotttt!

im notTELLING you anything... im just saying that when i have my vcore running at 1.45 on my presler and the cedar mill was doing only 1.3375... temps were HUGE in differnce. my presler never gets above like 40, even at 1.5 vcore.

this cedar mill runs hot. it idles like my presler, at about 32 which is 6 off from my presler idle. its a good clocking chip, but it wont even score as high as my presler at 4.0 at 4.6. the temps is what gets me. im on water, and its just crazy how fast they jump!

dylskee said:
I was merely asking for your opinion which i will not be asking for anymore. Welcome to my ignore list. :)

wtf? i was just trying to say that i cant tell you things, i can only give my observations. if you want to interperet that the wrong way, thats on you. i personally dont care one way or another.

Back