• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig - Need Solid Quiet PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fferrett

I'm building a new WC rig -- Will be powering the following:

Intel D950
Asus 975x Mainboard (premium or ws)
ATI Radeon X1900XTX
Powercolor Theater 550 (PCI-E 1x)
Dual 400 GB SATA 3Gbps Drives in Raid 1
(4) 120 GB ATA133 Drives in a Raid 0+1
DVD+RW BenQ Drive
2GB DDR2 800 dual channel memory
Dangerden D5 Pump
(5) Scythe 49CFM 12cm FDB Fans
Soundblaster XiFi
All in a Lian-Li PC-G70 chassis.

I need to find a solid PSU that will provide stable power for all of the above, offer some growth if desired, and be as quiet as possible.

I'm trying to keep my rig between 22-28dB. Quiet is more important than price. Solid power is more important than gimmicky LEDs. Active PFC and efficiency is also desired.

I'm anxious to hear your advice. Please feel free to ask questions or challenge any of my decisions so far. Thx.

Seasonic S12 600W should barely do it. Might affect CPU overclocking.

The OCZ Powerstream 520 is the only reasonably quiet power supply that really is anywhere near up to driving that system. P-D 9xx's consume incredible amounts of power if the OC is substantial.

Honestly, though, this is asking a lot of any one quiet power supply. This is the sort of thing the 1KW PCP&C unit is intended for, but it's not quiet.

I was considering the OCZ but haven't really heard it referenced as a quiet PSU. I had the Antec Phantom 500 and the Seasonic S12 600 in my sights -- how do they compare with the OCZ product?

Wow, what a power sucking rig. Ya, you need a monster PSU. Or...

Have you considered offloading your WC pump and a few fans on to a cheap but reliable secondary PSU?

Another thing that comes to mind: With all that stuff running, I don't think your PS fan will be very noticable. :)

Yes...the most powerful quiet PSU that comes to mind is the Seasonic S-12 600w. Both the Silverstone ST56ZF and the OCZ Powerstream would power that system nicely, but neither one are known to be quiet so they're out of the question. Plus, the Seasonic has high efficiency as you desire.

Although I don't see the point of having a quiet PSU if you're going to have 5 fans running, it doesn't matter how low the noise on each one is there will still be more noise for each extra fan you have. Plus the fan on the X1900 is going to be a killer. You're only as quiet as your loudest component.

Due to the OCZ Powerstream 520's 88% full-load efficiency, it generates little heat and gets by with very little fan speed. While the fans that come in the supply aren't any great shakes, they spin slowly enough to indeed allow it to be one of the quieter supplies of true substance. If you play with the fan fitment you can sure make it very quiet. Crotale's sustained a 616W output in testing a DI rig, so it's probably worth the effort.

I don't think the Silverstone is as quiet, but is certainly a powerful supply. But it makes more heat than does the OCZ because of efficiency, and makes due with the same 80mm exhaust fan size. Since it must spin its like-sized fan faster, the Silverstone is louder.

The Seasonic is a great supply, nearly as efficient as the OCZ and has a great fan choice and fitment as well as an effective fan speed controller. The only knock on it is the dual rail topology, and while it is clearly powerful it has yet to be proved that a P-D 9xx won't be limited by its output given enough clock and voltage. The OCZ 520 is a safer bet from an ouptut perspective, although neither is exactly in the cheap seats.

I agree though, you have to have a really low noise floor before this is going to make or break the results. Consider the lengths I have gone to quiet my sig machine:

- 1.5mm thick aluminum case with acoustic foam dampening material
- Yate Loon 120mm case exhaust running at 12V, 1250rpm/47cfm
- Scythe Ninja heatsink w/another 120mm Yate Loon at 12V
- Aerocool VM-101 passive video card heatsink, Coolermaster bolt-on aluminum memory heatsink, custom machine TR NB1 w/Everflow 40mm fan at 3700rpm in place of VM-101 heatpipe clamp plate
- Northbridge fan replaced with second 40mm Everflow at 3700rpm
- dual Samsung SATA2 drives for storage (quietest made)
- single 74GB Raptor for boot (quiet FDB spin noise, moderate seek noise)
- all hard drives suspended in 1/2" wide Wallyworld elastic
- fan grills cut, front case inlet drastically enlarged and fitted with home-AC filter material

And once you get all those ducks in a row, the power supply becomes a big issue. I use an Antec TPII-480 fitted with a .35A 5-blade high-pressure Yate Loon 120mm fan from a FSP350-60PN. The fan is sealed via a Vantec gasket and the grill moved to outside the case lid. The "fan only" output of the Antec TP supplies is an output of the same temperature-dependant controller circuit that governs the internal fan's speed. I use this to drive a Top Motor 120mm fan that is fitted to the case's inlet, so that as the power suppy gets hot the increase in air demanded by its increased internal fan speed is met by the comensurate increase in case inlet fan speed.

If you are prepared to split every hair, power supply heat production, fan size, and fan choice are crucial factors that must be leveraged to produce first-rate overall results. But your description of your machine does tend to indicate a noise floor as high or higher than a power supply of average noise level generates. My machine is very quiet from a few feet away at idle, and only increases the power supply and inlet fan speeds to audible levels under sustained 100% CPU or GPU load. And even then, it's still the quietest computer in the room (and decisively the most powerful at the same time).

The lesson to be learned here is that it takes a total-system approach to get anywhere near silence, and the better supplies like the OCZ and even moreso the Seasonic S12s are already essentially there.

Back