• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a tec psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exhausted mule

to power 3x 437 tecs from frozencpu.com.

i have looked at some 800w from meanwell (they are HUGE!) and would assume that something around the range of 2k watts? with 12v would be sufficient.

am i way off base here and should i be getting one of those 350w from the distributors?

2kw at 12v is expensive, even off ebay. 12v is such a common voltage - everyone needs it, from HAM to automotive to home audio hobbyists. Everyone has a need for power at that range. And... that's going to be huge no matter how you slice it. 2kw is 2kw, unless you are switching, which TECs usually don't like. You'd have better luck finding 3 seperate units, I'd imagine. Furthermore... Welcome to the forums ^_^.

hmm.

so either which way you look at it. powering three tecs of this size isn't going to be cheap.

allright,

gotcha.

exhausted mule said:
hmm.

so either which way you look at it. powering three tecs of this size isn't going to be cheap.

allright,

gotcha.

It's going to be a challenge none the less. To come up with a good system to effectivly power the TEC's and then a system to cool the large amount of heat could be very expensive. If your goal is super cooling then a Phase system is your best bet.

The 12 volts filtered DC needed for good peltier performace would require a full wave switching power supply for that amount of power output. It's rare and that will cause the price to be high. I would consider it luck if you found something that would work for under $500. That is leaving alone the fact that you couldn't put your computer on one circuit as it would pop your breaker.

You would get maybe a delta temp of 50C. Your water temp with even a $400 water cooling setup would be over your room temperature by 10 or 20 degrees. That would result in die temps of 30 or 40 degrees less than radiator inlet temperature.

That 2000 watts will be a pain. I have a 1500 watt heater in my room that keeps it toasty on cold nights. Turning on a computer like that would make me fry, especially in the summer.

With 3 pelts running for $150, say a $400 water setup, and at least a $500 power supply, your looking at over $1000 for the entire setup.

You could get better cooling than that at half the power costs if you go with a Vapochill or Prometeia. I'm sure you could even save initially with one of those systems too.

When it comes to slightly extreme cooling, peltiers win out on price. If you get more and more extreme phase changes quickly becomes the only option. After all, LN2 and dry ice are phase change as well as refrigerant loop setups.

Back