• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

remember to check your O rings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

outhouse

My rigs been up for a year now or a hair longer with water cooling and all 10 of my O rings are cracked and im suprised it hasnt leaked yet killing the whole rig.

keep an eye on em folks they dont last as long as you would think.

What have you been using for coolant? They shouldn't degrade that fast.

the inside is fine its the outer exposed part that is cracking, this has nothing to do with the GM Dex-cool [anti freeze] that i use.

Thats highly unusual. There must be some kind of issue with your loop...

Perhaps you have old stock of parts, or perhaps the oring reseller gave them a bulk deal on old rings. Orings have a service life, in much more severe conditions, of a much greater time. There is some issue, i would complain to the maker of the watercooling parts personally.

Last edited:
outhouse said:
the inside is fine its the outer exposed part that is cracking ...
Now that makes me wonder what it's been exposed to.

Hmmmm.... Do you have really powerful UV source in your case?

Yeah that really is weird. O rings normally last years and don't tend to crack. Something must be working on them.

I'd always recommend the doctor should grease up the o-ring to prevent cracking during examination...
Classy. :D

I agree - I always put vaseline on O-rings. Haven't had an issue yet.

Flip-Mode said:
We used to grease all the O-rings on the jets with vasline, I agree with you.

Yup, my father is Aircraft Mechanic haha must been secret of the trade :)

Back