• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yonah folding result.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
just got my new Sony SZ lappy (T2400, 1GB ram, 100GB HDD, etc.) yesterday. needless to say, I've installed F@H on it right away. well, running dual client, first 2 WU both is a little 56 pointer, and EMIII estimated a little over 200ppd (210~225ppd)on it.

now, I wanna see where does it land when compare to a desktop machine?? I know a 920 @ around 4Ghz (3.8~4.15ghz) net about 300~340ppd running 2 56pointer. sooooo, what do you think at 210~220ppd, what does it equal to a desktop rig??

p.s. will try to run dual QMD (that Pete sent to me for testing) on it to see how it runs later on.... only having it for less than 24hrs..... could you say F@H addict?? :p

I don't have a hyperthreaded or DC running two 56 pointers. A p4c 3.0 running one p1701 and a p1712 makes about 164ppd. An XP-M @ 2.4 makes about 140ppd on p1701. The benchmark machine used by Stanford, a P4C 2.8 makes 110 ppd on a single instance. If it were running two instances, it would make about 140ppd.

I'll see tonight when I get home if it has different WUs folding for more result. and will try to load it with 2 QMDs this weekend to see how it runs compare to PentiumD too. I'm hoping it should be at least as good as a stock 820/920. still haven't finish uninstall all those junks that come with it, and install the softwares that I use yet...

btw, ram speed is at 266mhz (5:8 ratio) 4-4-4-12.

looking on with much interest ... given expected higher electric prices and hot summers ....

pscout: and hot summers ....

In Ontario? :shrug:

I guess everything is relative, but I went on a 100 mile canoe trip starting at Camp Quetico in 1st week of August once (a very very long time ago, dare I say when?).

It got down to freezing at night and the days were only in the 70 degrees F range. (Remember, 1st week of August, freezing temperatures)

The locals' talked about 50 or more below zero in the winter :eek: when the lakes would freeze so thick that bulldozers and heavy logging equipment could drive across them.

OK, when was 1965, there I said it, eh. :D

CJ-5 said:
In Ontario? :shrug:

I guess everything is relative, but I went on a 100 mile canoe trip starting at Camp Quetico in 1st week of August once (a very very long time ago, dare I say when?).

It got down to freezing at night and the days were only in the 70 degrees F range.

The locals' talked about 50 or more below zero in the winter :eek: when the lakes would freeze so thick that bulldozers and heavy logging equipment could drive across them.

OK, when was 1965, there I said it, eh. :D

I am in southern ontario ... we did have a handfiul of cold days this year ... but not enough for good folding. A very different story up north but in in the far north they could not build their winter roads this year due to lack of freezing temps in many areas.

I remember those years welll ... you could depend on having enough snow to ski and cold air to have outdoor skating rinks even in southern ontario ... but not in the last few years.. :cry:

Landshark, if I ever get two 56 pointers to run at the same time again (HT not dual core) I'll post the numbers. Right now the time/frame varies a lot depending on which machine and what is running on the other instance.

@ pscout: Sorry to hear the climate is changing, I hope it's not a trend. The lakes of Ontario are so beautiful. :) I remember the trip like it was last week and recommend to anyone looking for an outdoor vacation to consider a fishing or camping trip there. :thup:

I'm not running emIII, I'm running fahmon, so I can't tell you my exact ppd, but on my dc rig I'm going through the 56 pointers in about 8-10 hours each on each core.

yes, Pete!! just heard on the radio couple days ago that in my area, people will encounter 35-70% increase in electric price this summer!! :eek: plus I've just got a peek in summer this couple days that ave. in 75F or so, my folder (especially the Aquarium)'s temp shoot up to the roof!! especially in this post-QMD world, there's really no need for a supernova PentiumD anymore.... (of course, when QMD does come back it will be a different case) that's why I'm not gonna build anymore Presler folder, wanna try out the Yonah and just wait for Conroe to come.....

I know at stock speed 1.83ghz, no way it could compete with top clocked DC desktop chip, especially in a laptop form!! but what I want to find out is at like 220ppd, what does it equal to desktop's chip, e.g. Pentium single core @ 3.4ghz?, dual core @ 3ghz?, something like that. so I know how good the Yonah really is for folding then figure in the power consumption, heat issue, and o/c'ability, to see if it's a better choice than Presler (before Conroe comes).

ok, just ran 2 QMDs (old copies from Pete) overnight. it nets around 530ppd.... hmmm..... I guess it's most likely b/c the memory bandwidth limitation, may be the best case for this lappy would be one QMD + one Gromacs(BP=yes)..... :rolleyes:

that is a bit disappointing ... too bad you can't OC it to see what it can really do.

But still it is a very nice rig ... especially for a lappy :)

Power consumption and heat output would also be a big part of the equation.

It will be interesting to see what they can do on a desktop mobo when we can get to try its OC abilities, and some faster ddr2 mem.

... still hoping :D

well, keep in mind that's running at just 1.83Ghz, and I believe it's dual QMD performance should be near a stock 820/920 (2.8Ghz) on a desktop mobo, or match the ppd of those new 805. I think a stock 820/920 dual QMD nets about 600ppd or so, and I think Pete posted some Prescott @ near 4ghz(?) get mid-high 500s ppd too! soooo, still not too shabby ppd from a laptop that can near/match the ppd of a high clocked Prescott!!

however, now it's running a 364pointer and a 56pointer, and it gets equal to or a bit more ppd than running 2 QMDs tho!! about 550-570ppd!!

I too still have some high hope from Yonah, especially when I can get my hand on a desktop board!! I'm assuming it should be able to ave. clock to 2.6-2.7Ghz quite easily (saw a couple one does and saw a guy did a bit over 3ghz on air!!). and at that clock speed match with some "real" memory (note ram is really behind when compare to desktop ram....), I'm sure they could fly pretty high too!! (still might or might not be able to beat a 4+ghz Presler, but it's nowhere near Presler's thermal and power consumption too!)

stay tune for "Round 2" of Yonah folding later on..... ;)

That Presler was fun while QMDs were the rave but now it's just another expensive space heater.

When QMDs come back in two or three months, I hope they will run on AMD64 and any non P4 Intel chips with SSE2 or better like the Dothan, Yonah, Conroe, etc. If it's still an Intel only club, then maybe I'll get a Conroe. I hope they come in dual socket configurations and that the mobo's will support quad cores eventually. I hate replacing mobo's every time Intel makes an incremental change.

Audioaficionado said:
That Presler was fun while QMDs were the rave but now it's just another expensive space heater.
yes! exactly! in these post QMD world, there's really no need for a high electric consumption, high heat Presler at all! and that's why I want to try out some other alternative route. so far, I love my Yonah lappy, prodcuing a stable 230ppd in these post QMD, all Gromacs world! think of is this way, at what speed of P4 is needed in order to produce 230ppd in these Gromacs world?? and what kinda power consumption and heat produce are we talking about?? my Presler @ 4+ghz is "only" doing about a 100ppd more than this laptop who is using 1/4 (1/3 at most!) power and can barely keep my lap warm! you see my point?! ]

plus I'm SURE on a desktop board @ 2.7+ghz, it CAN match the ppd of nowaday's WU with a 4ghz Presler!! 1.83ghz for 230ppd = 126ppd per Ghz, at 2.7ghz = 340ppd, that's as good (if not better) than my [email protected]!! and the above caculation is base on my laptop, WITH laptop's high latency slow memory!! so, the ppd number could goes even higher!! what about QMD? that really not sure then as it might be bandwidth (both memory and FSB) limited when compare to Presler.... really have to test and find out.... :rolleyes:

When QMDs come back in two or three months, I hope they will run on AMD64 and any non P4 Intel chips with SSE2 or better like the Dothan, Yonah, Conroe, etc. If it's still an Intel only club, then maybe I'll get a Conroe. I hope they come in dual socket configurations and that the mobo's will support quad cores eventually. I hate replacing mobo's every time Intel makes an incremental change.
I think we can pretty much forget about it running QMD on any AMD processor legally! remember, it's Intel complier and no way Intel will ever allow AMD to use it! especially just for "the" science!!

however, I have one thing to worry about when Conroe came. remember it's a completely new architecture, not P4 at all! and remember how Dothan can't get any QMD (by default) because it's not a P4 architecture that F@H couldn't recongized as a Intel processor? I have a feeling Conroe "might not" gets QMD with the current F@H client, it "might" need the v.6 client (just like Dothan) in order to properly recongize as a Intel processor. :rolleyes:

oh yeah, I too HATE the way Intel make us get a new mobo everytime they have a new cpu out!! I miss the old BX/845/875 day that we can literally keep the mobo for at least 2 generation of processor.

Last edited:
Don't dismiss the DC's too quickly. If we get a steady diet of Dgromacs mine all produce around 900 ppd. With that (or QMD's) it would make sense for me to retire a few northwoods for 1 pressler heat and electricity wize. But with the larger number of low output gromacs etc around, the farm would take a points hit with fewer instances running.

The WU workload is certainly a big uncertainty.

Yonah on a desktop board might be the best of both worlds at least for now. It depends on what the mobo manufacturers serve up, for what price and when. If they don't come out soon, Conroe may obsolete them ... maybe that's why there isn't anything out? :shrug:

Congrats LandShark on your new machine, it sounds nice.

I'd like to make a point...how cool is it for Stanford that because of their points system, people deliberately tweak their hardware in order to process work units faster. It's like having a worldwide IT section trying to optimise Stanford's systems for the fastest research possible.

Everyone wins in the folding world...

pscout said:
Yonah on a desktop board might be the best of both worlds at least for now. It depends on what the mobo manufacturers serve up, for what price and when. If they don't come out soon, Conroe may obsolete them ... maybe that's why there isn't anything out? :shrug:
my source is telling me March 20~22 for the Aopen 975 yonah board to be release.... ;) (HOWEVER, they might be a bit too expensive tho... think P5WD2-WS price range!) but ECS is also having a 975 chipset yonah board coming out too and should be a lot less too!

Back