• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig, Need Opinons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alucard

I wasn't completely sure where to post this so this seemed like the best place to. I will probably order the parts for my computer tonight and I was needing a few opinions, might consider revising some of my choices. Also I still havent decided if I should buy some new memory or just use the mem listed in my sig. I'll go ahead and list the parts and you guys can tell me what ya think :).

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Hiper Modular Type-R 580W Power Supply - SLI Ready
BenQ Black E-IDE/ATAPI 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With Lightscribe Model DW1625
ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink
eVGA Geforce 7900GT 256-P2-N563-AX Video Card

Also I probably wont be overclocking this any time soon, and if I do it wont be much.

I'd go for the BenQ DW1655 instead if you want Lightscribe, or the 1650 if you don't. They have another model coming but I haven't seen any reviews of it yet.

I don't see any reason for spending $400 on an Opteron if you aren't going to be ocing your machine. An X2 3800+ is $100 cheaper and will do just fine. Rest looks great.

Edit: $120 for that PSU seems steep. Have you looked at any other brands?

Nexus Realized said:
I don't see any reason for spending $400 on an Opteron if you aren't going to be ocing your machine. An X2 3800+ is $100 cheaper and will do just fine. Rest looks great.

Actually, if they're not overclocking, that's probably a very good reason to buy the best CPU they can afford at the time. ;)

Know Nuttin said:
Actually, if they're not overclocking, that's probably a very good reason to buy the best CPU they can afford at the time. ;)

They are the same clock speed, IMHO the extra 512k L2 is not worth $100, and could be used towards something else.

That's true. The 4200+ is a better buy, though you don't get as good a heatsink with it as you would with the Opteron. May not seem important when not overclocking but I like the option of being able to use a quiet 80mm fan on the heatpipe cooler.

The Hiper is fine if you're not going to push the limits of its output. With your rig, you shouldn't worry unless you move to dual 7900GTX's or 7800 GTX's with more hard drives and other devices.

I really like the idea of a modular power supply, and from what I've read they are pretty good power supplies, they had a few problems at first but it looks like Hiper got everything worked out, Know Nuttin I don't understand why you said I shouldnt worry unless I decide to do SLI, I've been out of the computer scene for a while so maybe you could fill me in :). I also chose the opteron because I do plan to eventually overclock, and from what I've heard they do have nice overclocking capabilities :). As for the price of the opteorn I was considering ordering from monarch and using the coupon, so it would be about the same price as a retain 4200 :D. Any suggestions on ram? :shrug:

You have to O/C the opteron a little. I am willing to bet it will do 260x10 166 mem divider. 600MHZ O/C and probally won't even need to hardly touch the vcore. I mean who does not want FX-60 speeds :santa: Other wise it looks very good. What ram BTW?

If you're going to OC down the road I guess the 170 is the better option. Regarding RAM, are you decided on 1GB or 2GB?

Alucard said:
, Know Nuttin I don't understand why you said I shouldnt worry unless I decide to do SLI, I've been out of the computer scene for a while so maybe you could fill me in :).

SLI = 2 video cards in tandem.

Vengance_01 said:
What ram BTW?

Not sure, its really the only thing left im contemplating.

Nexus Realized said:
If you're going to OC down the road I guess the 170 is the better option. Regarding RAM, are you decided on 1GB or 2GB?

Not sure yet, 2GB sounds really good but I have a gig of the stuff in my sig I was thinking about using. If I use this 1GB I think it will probably be good enough, but whether it is or it isn't I will still eventually put 2GB of something in there, I just need a few suggestions that would be appropriate for this new rig :D.

Know Nuttin said:
SLI = 2 video cards in tandem.

Yeah I'm not that far out of the loop man, hah :p. I was just asking why you said the hiper psu wouldn't be sufficient for a SLI setup, because I definentaly want this rig to be able to be upgradable for a while (Another 7900, more ram, etc.)

The amps on the 12V rail make or break a PSU for SLI.. 36 amps is nice to have.

If you plan on playing some BF2.. ever... I would seriously consider 2gigs of ram..
GSkills has been a good value for ram.

greenmaji said:
The amps on the 12V rail make or break a PSU for SLI.. 36 amps is nice to have.

If you plan on playing some BF2.. ever... I would seriously consider 2gigs of ram..
GSkills has been a good value for ram.

Haha, man I play BF2 all the time on this rig http://bf2s.com/player/hippieslaya/ 1280x960 medium settings, the only thing holding me back from cranking them up more is my 9800 pro, also my CPU holds my ram back because of the 533FSB. Also, what PSU would you recommend?

Zalman is crap if you care about quiet. Get Big Typhoon. I have both and the Zalman is just crap even @ the loud 2500 RPM.

Back