• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5ND2-SLI problems...any help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
Hey guys,

I purchased a P5ND2-SLI board with an 805 cpu. I know the CPU is fine because I tried it in an intel board. What happens is, when I boot the computer, it will usually get into windows, but then turns off. It doesn't restart, it simply powers off. This can be either the board or the PSU and I don't have a psu on hand to test with it, so I am inclined to believe this is an issue with the board. The PSU worked for many months with the AMD setup I had. Could this be a board issue? It has been happening since day one. I have 2 days left to return it. Has anyone had similar issues? Thanks a million...

-Collin-

Take it back, get a 975x or similar chipset.... SLI is crap on the INTEL Nforce4 chipset....

Sounds like its over heating? When my RBX block wasnt seated right the computer would boot into windows for about 2-3 minutes then it would shutdown, cause the temps would slowly rise. check your temps.

Hmm...I checked temps. The CPU was fine and the other reading was fine in BIOS. I felt the northbridge heatsink, and it was warm. I remember those being SCORCHING hot, so maybe it isn't making good contact? A 975x isn't an option. This board was a hundred bucks and that's my budget, so I think it could at least work for now.

-Collin-

I think you know what to do... it involves a water hose and some moral support. I can provide both... all you have to do is ask.

NinjaZX6R said:
Hey guys,

What happens is, when I boot the computer, it will usually get into windows, but then turns off. It doesn't restart, it simply powers off.

-Collin-

Is the power supply your using a 20 pin or a 24 pin ps? The P5ND2-SLI that i had wouldn't even power on without the 24 pin. Also, are you using the 2x2 12v connector? or did you take the little plastic thing off the connector and plug in the 2x8 pin?

BTW, this board blew a mosfet when i did get it to turn on, i would return it.

screwtech02 said:
Take it back, get a 975x or similar chipset.... SLI is crap on the INTEL Nforce4 chipset....

Ditto, i've had more problems and customer complaints that the nForce4 C-19 chipset for intel is crap. Between boards not powering on, frying boards, oc issues, bad bios and bad cmos checksums... ugh. What bugs me is that it COULD have been good.

~ Gos

OK...here's the latest...and I'm NOT happy about this....

I took the board back to return it. They were sold out of the P5ND2-SLI, so instead I got a P5PL2 as a replacement. Wow, this board is a joke as well. I installed it, and I get NO video signal. The monitor stays on standby, but all the fans run and the LED stays on green. This board had previously been returned, but they sold it to me anyway. I am getting extremely irritated with this damn place. I'm going back tomorrow, for the last time, and I'll just pay the extra 30 bucks for the P5LD2. That seems to be a decent board and people are getting ok results with it. Hell, all I'm asking is for it to BOOT INTO WINDOWS! I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED OVERCLOCKING YET! Good night.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
OK...here's the latest...and I'm NOT happy about this....

I took the board back to return it. They were sold out of the P5ND2-SLI, so instead I got a P5PL2 as a replacement. Wow, this board is a joke as well. I installed it, and I get NO video signal. The monitor stays on standby, but all the fans run and the LED stays on green. This board had previously been returned, but they sold it to me anyway. I am getting extremely irritated with this damn place. I'm going back tomorrow, for the last time, and I'll just pay the extra 30 bucks for the P5LD2. That seems to be a decent board and people are getting ok results with it. Hell, all I'm asking is for it to BOOT INTO WINDOWS! I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED OVERCLOCKING YET! Good night.

-Collin-

Did they mention if they had tested the board at all prior to selling it to you? If so, i'd suspect something else is going on here other than bad luck. Have you tested each component outside of the two boards you've had problems with?

One customer i had was chronically buying P5S800-vm boards and returning them the next day because they were "defective". After 3 such occurances, i asked him to bring me the CPU (as it was the only constant component with each occurance) He brought it to me, and it was a LGA775 continuity chip (if you've ever seen them, zero caps on the bottom side and literally a 1/4 of the weight of a standard P4).

I dont mean to sound like i'm saying its your fault... rather just trying to get to the bottom of things so you end up with a working rig :)

~ Gos

Goshawk said:
Did they mention if they had tested the board at all prior to selling it to you? If so, i'd suspect something else is going on here other than bad luck. Have you tested each component outside of the two boards you've had problems with?

One customer i had was chronically buying P5S800-vm boards and returning them the next day because they were "defective". After 3 such occurances, i asked him to bring me the CPU (as it was the only constant component with each occurance) He brought it to me, and it was a LGA775 continuity chip (if you've ever seen them, zero caps on the bottom side and literally a 1/4 of the weight of a standard P4).

I dont mean to sound like i'm saying its your fault... rather just trying to get to the bottom of things so you end up with a working rig :)

~ Gos

Hey Gos...I very much appreciate your concern. Here is the story...

I had this rig up and running fine when it had an intel motherboard in it. It was originally for my dad, but I gave him some other stuff (my a64 3000+) in trade for all this. So, I ended up keeping it. Being an overclocker, the last thing I want is an intel board. So, I returned the intel board, which worked perfectly fine with these components and bought the P5ND2-SLI. After swapping ONLY the motherboard, the computer began to turn off randomly. After installing this P5PL2, it won't get a post at all. Both boards were already opened when I bought them, which made me a little upset. But that was all they had left in stock. Anyway, the only component here that's been changing is the board. PSU, memory and CPU have all worked fine in the intel board. So...are we convinced it's the board?

I am going to drive to a different location of this store and see if they have any P5ND2-SLI's in stock. I really liked that board if it would work properly.

-Collin-

Ugh... Open box= someones elses problems.... Definatly do-not accept a open box from a retail place......

screwtech02 said:
Ugh... Open box= someones elses problems.... Definatly do-not accept a open box from a retail place......

Here's what I don't understand. Maybe I'm wrong, though. When I return something there, they issue a 15% restocking fee because they "cannot sell the board as new anymore." Well, why have they sold me two open-box boards as being new then? It's like they've been pocketing the restocking fee and putting the board back on the shelf. Excuse me, but I think that is BS.

-Collin-

Hmm, well interesting. Steer clear of the open box thing if you can. If they don't have anything you like, go newegg. It sounds likes its not even worth it with the place your going to.

restocking fees:

Basically, the reason why our place has a restock fee is to recover some of the cost on a board or etc.. that would eventually get sold at a discounted price. We ONLY use it when a customer is doing something wrong, and they ignore it when we bring it to light, like returning a perfectly working board, and wanting to return it anyway.

Since we have to sell it as used, we charge the restocking fee to recover the 15% we'd lose selling it as a used board.

~ Gos

Well it sounds like you have had the run around... vendors who do this should be run out of business (and will be if they keep doing this to people.) But that doesn't help you so..... Here is my suggestion:

Do you have a spare 775 chip or a buddy that has one? If so, the P5LD2 needs a bios flash to 0901 or newer (Latest bios is 1003 which can be had here: http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5LD2/LD2_1003.zip )

And as for the P5ND2, take it from me, this is such a crappy board it's not worth a second look. It barely overclocks and doesn't like a FSB above 1000.

Stay away from the P5LP2...super crapola.
Have you ever had the P5ND2 working at all, or it never booted into windows.
It may be some driver compatability problem that needs a new OS install.
Try booting in safe mode

Also, I just remembered something, in order to stabilize the P5ND2 you MUST bump up the Vdimm voltage from AUTO to 1.9 or higher. It will work otherwise but ASUS set the default too low and you will end up getting weird errors about other components that have nothing to do with a BSOD.

Back