• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was sold a "Newcastle" but CPU-Z says its a ClawHammer... blessing or curse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirRealist

Was sold a "Newcastle" but CPU-Z says its a ClawHammer... blessing or curse?

Hello! Back in 2004 I built my machine and bought from newegg a A64 3000+ Newcastle. Heres a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103424

Im getting ready to OC, and i fired up CPU-Z and it says I have a ClawHammer, Revision SH&-C0

I quickly checked my L2 cache thinking maybe i had gotten lucky, but its 512. Its actually 1mb, but the other 512 is disabled.

So, is all this a blessing or a curse? Assuming CPU-Z is correct (and please comment if you think it isnt), is it better to have this ClawHammer instead of a Newcaste? What about OCing performance? Anyone know how these two chips compare OCing, or in any other way?

you essentially have a newcastle core. the clawhammers with half the L2 disabled are functionally the same as newcastle cores, you should see the same results a typical newcastle would.

One could say curse. Newcastle overclocks better than Clawhammer.

Athlon 64 3000+ cpus run at 2Ghz with 512K of L2 cache on socket 754. It can be either a Newcastle core or a Clawhammer core with half of the L2 cache disabled.(Clawhammers have 1MB of L2 cache normally)

CPUZ used to be reliable, but I have begun to question it. The newest version of CPU Z states that my cpu runs at 2.7 Volts. I find that both shallow and pedantic.

dguy6789 said:
The newest version of CPU Z states that my cpu runs at 2.7 Volts. I find that both shallow and pedantic.
do you have any other cpu monitoring programs open at the same time? that could be the cause of the misreading.

and, sirRealist, there is a chance you might see sub-average oc-ability on the cpu, but thats only a chance, and there's only 1 way to tell for sure how it will perform- test it.

dguy6789 said:
One could say curse. Newcastle overclocks better than Clawhammer.

damn

dguy6789 said:
I find that both shallow and pedantic.

hahahha!!!

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
do you have any other cpu monitoring programs open at the same time? that could be the cause of the misreading.

tried closing mbm, THEN opening CPU-Z, same thing

I have a 3500+ Clawhammer (stock 2.2GHz) and have had it up to 2860. Not too bad if you ask me. That was with some generic ram too. I run it at 2.75 everyday at 1.50v.

soulfly1448 said:
I have a 3500+ Clawhammer (stock 2.2GHz) and have had it up to 2860. Not too bad if you ask me. That was with some generic ram too. I run it at 2.75 everyday at 1.50v.

damn dude! would you mind posting some temps (idle/load), and what cpu cooler you have, and what your ram timings are (stock and what they're at now), and any other OC info you have... im gonan be OCing soon and id really liek to draw on your experience!

Back