• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.5 days from 100K - A little reflection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glasslicker

After one false start, I began to fold with wreckless abandon on Feb 28, 2006. In what appears to be 69 days, I went from being an ignorant baffoon knowing litle about PC's and nothing about folding, to becoming a PRODUCTIVE, ignorant baffoon who still knows little about PC's and barely anything regarding folding other than maintaining a clear understanding of the importance of the program.

Normally 100K would be an incredible achievement for anyone on the team. While I am satisfied that I am making a contribution, I feel like a fraud when comparing myself to so many of our members that sacrifice a significant portion of their disposable income for a new chip, a new board, a little more electricity.

I haven't had to sacrifice anything. I co-own a business. I told my partner that I felt passionately about participating in this project and pulled the trigger. Heck, I dont even pay electricity as it is included in my lease.

Upon reflection, I do not feel that I make an honest contribution to the team compared to so many of you. I guess I view myself as more of a tool for the team. Someone with the ability to help the team under Team 32's watchful care.

With that said, and if I may, I would like to dedicate my first 100,000 points to those of you that give til it hurts. To our team members that work tirelessly to help people like me. To those of you that write software and those of you that spend hours and days tweaking your machines to garner every last tidbit of performance out of what was previously mediocre equipment at best.

Finally, here's to those of you that answered all of my stupid questions, emailing me to see if I had any questions, and to all of my secret WU Santas who fed me more than few to keep me motivated.

I will continue to remain a humble servant of Team 32. I will also work a little harder to give til it hurts. Thank you for allowing me to call myself 'A Folder' even though I don't truly deserve the title.

Warmest Regards,

G.L.

P.S. I think it's time to to stomp on the gas peddle and see what these babies can really do !!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, I certainly enjoy folding alongside you GL :)

and enjoy your insightful comments :)

.... we all bring something different .. and all are noobish is our different ways
.... and we all have at least one common goal :)

We all bring to the party what we can .... every little and big bit counts ... cuz they are all from the heart :thup: :clap: :santa2:

and wOOt :beer: ( :beer: ) on the impending milestone .... and many more to come :thup:

If you ever feel insubstantial, take one look at me and see how far you've come. 100k in about two months is a massive achievement, and you should not underestimate it, whatever means you used to achieve it.

Lofty said:
If you ever feel insubstantial, take one look at me and see how far you've come. 100k in about two months is a massive achievement, and you should not underestimate it, whatever means you used to achieve it.
yeah look at lofty...keep looking....don't blink....fun game :sn:

:D sorry i had to....anyway...I am truely glad to fold along side of you GL.... You have made an excellent achivement...when I first started folding, it took me 6 months to get to 15k...It doesn't matter that you didn't spend a huge portion of your disposible income on it, what matters is the fact that you're contributing. So chin up, and kick her into high gear! :thup: :thup:

Fold On! :attn:

I would say you are looking at it the wrong way. You are seeing it from the competitive angle, which isn't a bad thing, but you have to pull back a bit and realize this. Folding is not about the competition, its about the research. 100k in a couple of months is astonishing, if there were more people who had the ability and willingness to do this, we might not even need to fold any more. Think about it from this angle, and you realize, you are selling yourself far too short. Keep it up for the cure! :thup:

Congrats on the milestone Glasslicker !!

P.S. I think it's time to to stomp on the gas peddle and see what these babies can really do !!!!!!

Let's get our collective asses up to page one and open a can while they're not look'in. ;)

Fold on !! :attn:

ruh roh.
looks like youll pass me and ill be able to hold off OC-REV for a while longer...
congrats!

Folding is not about how much money you spend... its about contributing what you can. I have spent several thousend $$ folding over the last few years, but that is in no way a substantail part of my disposable income. Granted my income does change from year to year, and with school. I fold for friends, family, and the general health of the world. I fold because i truly hope that we can develop genetic treatments for all sorts of ailments. I would like to eradicate cancer if at all possible. Giving your computers, your companies money, and your time to folding is nothing short of awsome. Just because it did not cost you directly it still is a huge contribution. If you feel like you could still give more, then do, but it does not have to be money, or even for folding, try spending more time doing cherity work for your church, or a local shool. A few scemesters ago i gave about 80hrs of time working with inner city kids 4-5 year olds helping them learn basic skills, and showing them the basic love that they dont get at home due to extreme poverty. In many ways that 80hs is just as good as me buying a new dual xeon rig and folding it for a year... in some ways its even more imidate interms of its contribution.

Dont look at what you have done and say its not enough.. because any charity is better than none. If you really feel the need to contribute more, then do so. The world sucks for a lot of people, and its not hard for us to make things a little better for them... and it does not even take much effort on our part. We dont all need to be Bono :p

1st, GL, you making a very large contribution. With our help, we are completing WU even faster now. And that's a good thing. We are returning the work so Stanford can get right on to what they need to. Less delays.

We all start somewhere, and we're all still learning, and you're just starting to get a grasp on all of this. Computers and Folding. It's a lot to take in.

You, your Company, and the guys there Donate time to the community already. -a couple of little league teams right? And some other stuff I don't remember. You are giving back. You don't have to give until it hurts.

You're making an effort at even doing something, that's way more than some other people can even say.

If you decide you want to, must do, are driven to, do more, I know exactly
what might be, up your alley.

I't has been, still is, a pleasure Folding with you my friend.

Keep up the good work!

:attn:
Fold On!

Back