• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Overclocking Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheSonOfX51

Disabled
Well this is my planned watercooled OC build. Please help me improve it anyway possible that especially those that could give me higher clock speeds.

Build
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0615 EPMW
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500
eVGA 256Mb Geforce 7900GT (Core 580Mhz, Ram 1580Mhz)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3Gb/s 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
OCZ PowerStream 520W or 600W (Cant decide)
NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner
Floppy for the raid drivers
CM Stacker

Cooling
Danger Den TDX and D5 Pump Deal
Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
2xMCT-5 Non-Conductive Solution
10ft Tygon 3603 Tubing 1/2"
10xPlastic Snap Tubing Clamps
Black Ice XtremeII Radiator

And I need suggestions for fans. A balance between noise and performance if possible.

Well, the best way to go about it would be to pick up some high cfm (possibly noisy) 120mm fans and run them through a fan controller. That way you can stress the system and dial in the noise!

Great rig but you may consider a few things. You might want to change platforms if your willing to make some sacrfices. The Intel 805 is becoming a great cheap, fast, overclockable dualcore chip. With some highend watercooling (Dual 120mm Radiator and above) you could have a large possablity to hit 4.1Ghz 800fsb without too much of a problem. Now with a clock rate like that on a smithfeild doen't come cheap. You would need a good soild Powersupply with preferrably a single 12v rail. There are many but the Silverstone ST56ZF 560w or the OCZ Powerstream 520w are a couple that come to mind. With the change to LGA 775 you could choose a motherboard that supports the Conroe and with DDR2 you'll have a more future proof system.

I would really rather not switch platforms because I really am more familiar with the AMD platform and have not had good experiences with Intel in the past. I did however see the 4 Ghz dual core article on Tomshardware and found it interesting. Maybe in another build...

TheSonOfX51 said:
I would really rather not switch platforms because I really am more familiar with the AMD platform and have not had good experiences with Intel in the past. I did however see the 4 Ghz dual core article on Tomshardware and found it interesting. Maybe in another build...

Well whatever you choose it may be worth your buck if you hold out for a couple more months for the M2 socket. Granted it won't be much faster but it will not be outdated either. Seeing as you have a FX-55 you arn't in dire need for a new system.

Back