• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I get a Nintendo DS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

All this excitement about the Nintendo Wii has made me crave a different device for now. However, I want to ask what are the perks and drawbacks of the Nintendo DS before making a purchase.

First, let me start with why I want one. If anybody remembers the Command and Conquer series for PC, then you most likely remember that if you wanted to multiplayer with a friend that you both did not need the game. There was 2 disks with Command and Conquer (original) and either disk could start the game for a multiplayer round. Right now, I want to get a DS along with a friend however this would be for multiplayer purposes. The DS is the first device that I heard of which gives the option to multiplay with another person who doesn't even have that game. Although this doesn't include all games (and I hope it does include a sizable amount of games), it is an amazing idea and one that grabbed my intrests.

Second, it seems like the DS is recieving some interesting upgrades. The PSP and the DS should either be getting official browsers soon or perhaps the PSP only has an unofficial one. Eitherways, hearing of that makes the device a bit more interesting than just a game device. Secondarily, I hear that the DS can communicate with other DS devices with Pictochat... might be interesting.

My one friend has Advance games and thus can port them over. They will have to keep their Advance to play their Gameboy games but there isn't anything that can be done for that.

As for disadvantages, I don't know of any so please fill me in. I am interested in the DS Lite, so I am wondering if that device will allow screen protectors to be used (since suppositely the top screen touches the bottom screen when the device is closed). Also, as mentioned before, the multiplayer clients not needing the game feature is not supported by all games and I am hoping that enough games support it so as to not make it a worthless feature.

Also, another reason I am considering the DS is that the Wii does intrest me, I am likely to get one, and the DS should integrade with the Wii in some fashion. I don't have much details though.

So, my question... Can you tell me of all advantages and disadvantages to the DS as well as compare it to other handheld gaming systems? Also, what games are good for the DS both multiplayer and single player?

Wait for the DS lite, I saw a video(linked somewhere in this forum) comparing it to the regular DS and it was a HUGE difference in screen brightness. I'm pretty much getting it because new Super Mario Bros looks AMAZING!!

Yup. I've already got 3 games for my DS Lite. One of them would interest you; an RTS called Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I've not played it, but it looked like what you want.

One of the cool thing about many games for the DS is that the wifi lets 2 folks play against/with each other with only one cartridge. So, you can play RTS against your buddies.

The price point is pretty nice, and the games are cheaper than PSP. I like that I can go into any game stop and grab a $35 title that I've missed for $25 used. That's how I got Advance Wars.

Also--Brain Age. Man, I can't wait to play that! And it's only $20 new retail!

You can get screen protectors. There is a brand from Japan that's pretty cheap called "Hori" that is all over ebay, or that's available from importers like play-asia.com. Bummer thing is that my credit cards won't let me order from them because they're in Hong Kong.

I'm gonna get a Lite in a few weeks when it comes out and drives the price of the imports down. I'd rather have something that's not white.

Anyway, I'm playing New Super Mario Bros. Honestly, it's the first game that's like the original style Mario since Super Mario World. You see Mario's name on everything, but this is actually a real, old school Mario game and it feels good to play. My only gripe is that it's kinda easy.

Brain Age is fun. I usually do a full set of training excercises, check my Brain Age and do 1 Sudoku puzzle a day. My current Brain Age is 20. :D

Right now, I'm looking to order Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

Luftwaffle said:
Brain Age is fun. I usually do a full set of training excercises, check my Brain Age and do 1 Sudoku puzzle a day. My current Brain Age is 20. :D

Right now, I'm looking to order Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

Nice, brain age is 20? Wow, I need to play my Brain Age game daily... I think mine is double that... the Sudoku puzzles are awesome! I also like the games/excercises where you have to remember the numbers from lowest to highest, and I like the game where people enter, and leave the house... those are cool.

Anyways, I would highly recommend the DS Lite(I have a DS, and I think it is awesome).

Between me and my bros we probably have a dozen DS games.

And I HIGHLY recommend Advanced Wars: Dual Stike(like Cursor said). It is an AWESOME turn based strategy game. With many differnt maps, map creator, many differnt COs(I believe 20+, each with unique skills, powers), A big campain, lots and lots of unlockables, etc.

The RTS part of it is good, but it pales in comparision to the Turn based part of the game.

I also recommend the New Super Mario Bros if you like Mario games.

Mario And Luigi: Partners in Time, is a good game(atleast that first one was, and my bro said Partners in Time is great too). Its kinda like Paper Mario.

Mario Kart DS, if you like Mario Kart games(who doesnt like Mario Kart?). And the multiplayer mode on it is pretty cool too!

Mmm... Animal Crossing is more of a relaxed, village you get to live in. I would recommend either visiting friends towns alot, or having friends/family, play on your cartidge too(it makes things more intresting that way).

Well, I know that Advanced Wars DS should keep you busy for along, long time. I think between me and my bros we have more than 100 hours on it. And we haven't even beat the campain yet, nor have we unlocked half of the unlockables.

Brain Age is one of those non-game games, which is fun, but I believe its best if you play it 10-40 minutes aday, than like a hour or two straight.

I have Meteos, which is ok. It is not as good as I hoped. I also have Ridge Racer, which I got a tired of, and stuck on a course(Im not very good at racing games like Ridge Racer). Polrium is pretty good, there doesn't seem to be that much to it, I picked it up at Target for like $10-$15 in the clearance section, its pretty hard though.

Largest disadvantage I would say that is that it cannot play GB games(atleast that is what I have heard, from everybody, I have lots of old GB games, but I have yet to try to use them in my DS).

Last edited:
I am a Meteos Addict, with a Tetris Fetish, and a Zoo Keeper Recoverer. For puzzle games, the DS can't be beat.

I also love Mario And Luigi Partners in Time. Great Game. Metroid Prime is pretty good for it, I just suck @ FPS so I haven't played it much. New Super Mario Bros is GREAT. It's really mario! I mean, seriously. It's great. The little details are nice, like every time the music does a little emphasis, all the stuff on the map does a little move, like the Goombas jump, and the koopas do a little dance. It's great. Quite Classy.

biglonstud said:
Nice, brain age is 20? Wow, I need to play my Brain Age game daily... I think mine is double that... the Sudoku puzzles are awesome! I also like the games/excercises where you have to remember the numbers from lowest to highest, and I like the game where people enter, and leave the house... those are cool.
I think it helps that I'm only 24 years old. :D

But, yeah, I play every day. I'm good at the math stuff, but I'm bad at the word memorization, high-low and headcount on hard. The lowest to highest game is my favorite, even though I suck at it. My best score on that was only a 45. It really makes a difference if you play in silence as opposed to playing with music or the TV on in the background. I tested it out yesterday. I shaved 4 seconds off my best 20x calculations time by playing in my room instead of downstairs with the TV blasting some crappy show on cartoon network.

Yes.

Mario
Mario Kart
Sonic
Metroid
Zelda
StarFox
Brain Age
Touch Screen
Wireless online play
No load times
Backwards compatible with Gameboy Advance
Dual Screens
Both are backlit
Has a very long battery life
Very rugged, hard to break
Innovative touch screen based games
Can play movies, music, and emulate older systems with an add on
Relatively cheap when compared to the competition

If you want, wait for DS Lite. Either way, you should get some form of DS system eventually.

I own an original DS and love it. I really like the versatility of the PSP, but even now certain adapters for the DS can be bought for a memory card extension and multimedia player (the PlayYan I believe).

I agree: buy the DS Lite.

The PSP can also transfer a game demo over wireless, I tried it using Burnout but the transfer time was awful. My PSP gathers dust for the most part, I'll definitely be upgrading my DS to the DS Lite. Metroid and Mario Kart are both good fun, plus they're releasing a Wind Waker sequel that I'm waiting for. I also invested in several Gameboy Advance games, Zelda: The Minish Cap was awesome.

I already have sold my DS and pre-ordered a DS Lite. Cant wait for it to come in. Over half my multiplayer games work with only 1 cartiage, and the Wi-Fi online play is awsome.

is ds really that good? what kinda good games does it have? I don't like racing games btw.

if i were to get a psp i'd get gta libert city stories and metal gear solid portable ops. But if i got a ds iono what i'd get. ideas?

bumsquad said:
is ds really that good? what kinda good games does it have? I don't like racing games btw.

if i were to get a psp i'd get gta libert city stories and metal gear solid portable ops. But if i got a ds iono what i'd get. ideas?

Check it out:
Official site: http://www.nintendo.com/channel/ds
1up: http://ds.1up.com/
IGN: http://ds.ign.com/

Also check out the titles already mentioned in this thread. FWIW, I'm not a big racing fan either, but I want to check out Mario Kart DS. It's supposed to be great--love the idea of throwing shells at cars in front of you.

One great thing about the DS, too (at least from what I've read) is that it doesn't have as many problems with games being crappy ports from another system as the PSP does. I've heard a lot of moaining in reviews that PS2-->PSP titles are really marginal with the PSP's more limited controller.

I didn't know the DS had so many games that are highly recommended. I thought it was the standard Mario fare, plus NintenDogs, and then Brainage. I certainly got a bit of research to do. :)

Im considering getting a DS when the lite comes out... I've never been a huge Mario Kart fan....but I played that game at Bestbuy for a little bit over the weekend...it was fun...plus you have the GBA library which is deep and pretty good...and it will connect to Wii...which I will definatly buy.

gt24 said:
I didn't know the DS had so many games that are highly recommended. I thought it was the standard Mario fare, plus NintenDogs, and then Brainage. I certainly got a bit of research to do. :)

Its a great system if you like those games. In a way that is its greatest strength and its greatest weakness.

The game linup is superb if you are into all the old school SNES games and N64 traslations, but if you don't you won't be happy.

I love the New Super Mario, Animal Crossing and Mario 64/DS.

Str:

Nintendo 1st party games

Wknss:

limited to Nintendo 1st party games that we've been playing for the last 10 years

The DS is an awesome piece of work. Nintendo have an excellent idea of what people want and the way you interact with it is more fun than any other current handheld.
It does exactly what it is meant to do, fun entertainment.

Back