• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best compound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazymilk

i am just putting together my loop and just wondering what is the best thermal paste to use on my graphics cards when using danger den sli blocks. i was thinking the arttic silver ceramic stuff.

QuietIce said:

yea just ignore everythign about that stuff in the syringe... theres already many posts on here about how harsh it is to thee components ! - not worth it.

personally ive only used AS5 once, i just use the Akasa silver based compound, its cheaper and although ive seen mixxed results on weebsites it seems to be just about on par with the AS5.

but then again, a bad seating can take away any thing that makes you think one compound is better than another

I am partial to ceramique. There are alot of components close to the gpu and the ceramique gives a little extra peace of mind (and performs well too).

Last edited:
R B Customs said:
yea just ignore everythign about that stuff in the syringe... theres already many posts on here about how harsh it is to thee components ! - not worth it.

personally ive only used AS5 once, i just use the Akasa silver based compound, its cheaper and although ive seen mixxed results on weebsites it seems to be just about on par with the AS5.

but then again, a bad seating can take away any thing that makes you think one compound is better than another
Yeah, I didn't mention the metallic stuff - good call ...!

QuietIce said:
Yeah, I didn't mention the metallic stuff - good call ...!

:) i just didnt want another folk to be drawn my its emense shine ! lol... evil lurks i tell ya !

never tried the ceramique, although it does sound liek a good option for places prone to oozing compound !

I think a reason a lot of people like the Ceramique is because it is much less finicky than AS5. When you apply AS5 it goes through a setting process where the particles in it align with each other to form a highly efficient thermal transfer interface. Once it is set, knocking the cooling device that it is applied to, or otherwise disturbing it in any way can break this interface, and it is difficult if not impossible for the interface to correct itself w/o reapplying it, becasue it seems to me like moisture evaporates from the paste. This doesn't make it any less effective (as long as it isn't disturbed) but it does make Ceramique more convenient for applications that are frequently handled, such as constantly performing maintenece inside a case or moving the case often for things like LAN-parties.

Hopefully I got that right.

I personally use AS5 on the core and Ceramique on the RAM modules. Use AS5 on the core if you are careful about it as it is a little capacitive. If you dont want to worry, go with Ceramique, there isnt a huge difference in temps between the two. But definately use Ceramique on the RAM modules.

thanks for your help

I used the ceramic on the CORE and the RAM. Just for peice of mind more than anything.

i am right in thinking that it is completely non conductive so i dont have to worry if i got some on the circuit boards?

Crazymilk said:
i am right in thinking that it is completely non conductive so i dont have to worry if i got some on the circuit boards?
correctemundo !, ive just read all about it on the AS site and they say that its completly non-conductive, AS5 on the other hand is also non conductive BUT capacitive, so you dnt rly wanna get that on the pinss around chips etc

Back