• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PowerStream 520w or NeoHE 550w?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EZ-Spidey

I'm assembling a Pentium D setup and I'm a little stuck on which PSU to
use.

I'm very fond of PowerStreams but my current 520w is the non SLi model
and managing all its extra cables is always somewhat of a pain.

Someone suggested the Antec NeoHE 550w. I like the modular features
and it seems to be a good unit.

Which would be better to power an oceed Pentium D 940 and Crossfired
X1900XT cards?

Powerstream should be ok - the Neo HE will not do it. The X1900's are hungry cards - I would also consider the OCZ GameXStreams, Fortron Epsilons, Silverstone ST56ZF or ST75ZF, or Zippy PSL-6701P or better.

I have never seen a good stability report on modular units. Better off with the OCZ 520 sli..

I'm sure the NeoHE will power it, but they're buggy units. Therefore, I recommand the Powerstream.

Thanks!

Now, will the 520w PowerStream be good enough x1900 cards
in Crossfire?

Another option I'm now looking at is a 700w GameXstream.

For Crossfire, the GameXStream would be the better option.

You could also look at the others Oklahoma Wolf mentioned. The Silverstone ST56ZF/ST75ZF would also work, as would the Sparkle FSP550PLG-SLI.

As good as the 520 is, two x1900's would be a strain on it. Minimum power for crossfire with two x1900's is 550, however anything less than 600 and you may have problems.

As Oklahoma Wolf said. Go with the Fortron Epsilon, OCZ Gamestream or Zippy if you want 1900 XFire. Unless you are running 1 HDD and minimal cooling the PS 520 would be taxed. And do not consider the PS 600watt

Back