• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8120 after ETS-T40 installed freezes/locks up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol are you serious about the subzero temps? Its air cooling not Dry ice cooling :p Yeah i think my BIOS is screwy and it my be screwing my stableness on the OC.

UPDATE: Just ran memtest86+ and it ran for 1.1 hours with no error... It didn't freeze either... So now i reseted BIOS to defaults and booted my system. Now I will reboot a couple of times and then ill try to run prime95 blend and see how that goes. After that I'll run HDD test IF it does freeze. If it doesnt then its definitely something with my OC settings...

Yes serious. And my board wasn't cheap. Doesn't like anything cold at all. At least not below -10c. Sabortooth Rev 1.0. Don't get this board if you shop around. The Rev 2.0 model is the one to look for.

Anyhow, based on your last few posts, a really neat idea would be to install a new windows partition or on a spare HD and update the Windows before installing ANYTHING else. Then install the minium software needed for your daily use. DONT install ET for any reason, just use your bios. ET has never as far back as I can remember be reliable unless a fella or two got luckier than myself.

Bad drivers, BSOD's and restarts, freeze ups while the HD is reading/writing system files will bork an OS sometimes quickly, sometimes through time.

So to help diagnose HW, you may need a brand new fresh install that isn't already beat on.

GLHF,

ShrimpBrime

Yeah Rgone... i noticed that too. They state their board are OCing type but their reliableness sucks when OCed... Well everyone is getting more interested in OCing so everyone kind of wants to try it now.

Shrimp that is exactly what i was considering to do. Given I have Win 7 now and have over 300GBs free, i was thinking on resizing my parting and make one 100GB one just to reinstall everything... But right now i uninstalled the printer driver which was the last one i installed before doing the heatsink swap. Will see if this helps in anything. But right now it does seem like a software issue because the machine runs for hours without issues. I just ran prime95 for 5 mins with speedfan and no issues. Ill reboot now and see if it still freezes. If it does, ill backup my important does to an external drive and split my partition and reintall windows again and see how that goes. But its definitely something with OS/drivers/software wise. But thanks for also recommending that, that confirms my thought.

But as a side note... my temps are not THAT low lol definitely not having issues because of running too cold... lowest i get is 25C so yeah. I live on the tropic (Puerto Rico) so room temps even with AC on dont get that low.

Last edited:
After further troubleshooting i noticed that my prime95 is triggering the issue. Only when i run prime is that my shutdown gets buggy... I tried the following to fix the issue:

1. SFC -scannow
2. Disabled network driver
3. Disabled the USB suspend feature

I found this solved some issues for people... But not my case and it makes sense to me because whatever is bugging my shutdown has something to do with prime95 running. If i simply open and close prime my machine shutsdown fine. But if I run the blend test for like 5-10 mins, then close everything and shutdown a while after it hangs on the windows shutting down screen... I left it for like 10 mins but yeah it just hangs with no activity at all. I checked the operational logs to see how the shutdown event was doing but theres nothing inthere that tells me whats getting my shutdown stuck... Still seeing as reinstalling wiindows as my last resort. If i had windows 7 pro or ultimate I would have the GPO policy to track/monitor shutdown and maybe be able to tell what the heck it is... Maybe ill try upgrading to Pro and see if I can see something more specific on my logs.

That aside, machine is running cool and quiet at 3.5ghz and 1.31v on the vcore. Everything else i left stock. I might increase my HT Link and NB freqs but meh not sure if I want to risk system stability...

It gets buggy because Prime is stressing the system hard enough for you to notice.

Loads up the ram pretty heavily and the Cpu should be maxed out. That leaves little room for you to "do" stuff, just let it run....

Well I would do a nice long clear cmos. Meaning pull the power, pop the battery out and use the jumper. Leave it sit a good five minutes.....

Things I've encountered from freezing....

HD freeze ups usually is more like being able to use the mouse but when trying to access something, it won't open.

A hard freeze no mouse involved can be from several things, one of them being too low of voltage on the processor. I'd start here, maybe 1.3v at 3.5ghz isn't enough?? I know my FX-6100 and 8320 posted at 1.4v at stock 3.5ghz on the 8320 any hows..

Ram. Typically a blue screen occurs on ram issues, but never the less a hang wouldn't be surprising.

Another thing I'd like to mention is DVD drives and sound cards and wirelss NIC cards. ALL of these I've experienced issue with, so pulling these out would be a good start to diagnose between just ram board HD and Cpu problems.

Again I would try a new install while having DVD or nic cards pulled from the case. Then one at a time add them in and checking for stability even if it takes a few days.

Keep us posted!!

Its not freezing while running prime bro... So im pretty sure its not voltage or anything OC related. It would still freeze with BIOS defaults. Its definitely something OS related software wise. Remember im only getting freeze on the "Shutting down..." screen. Im pretty sure its just something that got screwed when i booted my system for the first time after swapping the heatsinks and the BIOS was reseted (clock was set to 1/1/2001 or something really way back) and my system maybe updated some files wrong to something... Last resort is fresh windows install, if that doesn't help then i'll go back to the hardware.

Alright first thing i did when i got home is ran prime95 blend test on safe mode... And again ran with no issues, temps are all good. So then i went to shut it down (waited a min for temps to be idle stable) and YEP it froze half way through it again. I did notice that some hardware did shutdown, i think maybe the Hard drive because i heard the spin down noise that it usually does when it fully shutsdown. Maybe it was some fan or the video card fan...

Anyways, so if it safe mode and it still froze, the only drivers running are Chipset/CPU/USB/Harddrive/CD-Rom.... Im thinking on removing these drivers one by one and re-install them. Maybe start with the chipset... Well I am open with recommendations on where to start. I could also just go ahead and re-install windows, since its W7 i don't even need to backup my drive right? It re-install the OS while keep my user data?

I noticed some people having issues with ram not being dual channeled... I thought that was always handle via the BIOS no matter what ram you placed in as long as they have same exact specs... My rams are exactly the same so I shouldn't have issues with that right? here's the specs sheet on G.Skills:
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-10666cl9s-4gbnt-

And this couldn't be the issue for the shutdown either right? I mean i can just take one off and try running prime95 again... It would sucks if i install W7 again and i still get the damn issue lol Trying to test everything that makes sense before going for the OS fresh install.

So today I installed Windows 7 on the separated partion. I reset my OC to stock but left all other features on the BIOS as they were. I did change my sata mode to AHCI given I now had the chance and i forgot to do this the first time. I have an eSata drive I would to swap around without having to restart my machine... I use it for backup purposes. So install went well. Didn't active windows update right of so it wouldn't do driver updates. I installed Chipset, Lan, Audio and nvidia drivers. Did a couple of restart so all registry changes are saved or so. Then I went for the prime95 test. I actually got HWmonitor installed this time and it did actually show all the different parts with their values now, not just the HD like before so that was a good news. So i leave HWmonitor running and start my prime95 at stock core speed. Everything fine for 5 mins, i stop my prime95 and close my HWmonitor. Do a little prayer... and SHUTDOWN... Shutdown completes and my monitor turns off!!! I JUMPED OFF THE CHAIR AND DID A LITTLE VICTORY DANCE! BUT.... when i went to turn on my PC i noticed my Case LEDs and fans were still on... So my guess is i still have the same issue and this pretty much confirms its a hardware issue. And my second guess is ****ty mobo...

So after being extremely downed, i hard turn off my PC by holding the power button. Start it again and it loads into windows fine. Restart and try setting my C6 state on just for the heck of it see if it would make a difference. Boot into windows, Run prime for 3 mins and shutdown... And this time it did shutdown! So then i come back again and tried it 5-6 mins prime05 run... Windows shutdown, i hear HD spin down but Case Power LEds still on...

So i am just going to keep updating and keep using but right now im just thinking my board just can't handle the CPU given its max 125w usage. I'll attach HWmonitor data and a screenshot you guy can see how my temp and voltages were while prime95 ran. I did noticed my 12v go down to 8v while running. Guessing its normal but you guys let me know. Maybe my PSU is going bad?

Attachments

• HWMonitor.txt
    48.7 KB · Views: 60
  • HWmonitor while prime95 running at stock BIOS setting CPU (2.81ghz).png
    HWmonitor while prime95 running at stock BIOS setting CPU (2.81ghz).png
    79.3 KB · Views: 23
Back