• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8120 after ETS-T40 installed freezes/locks up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So yesterday when i was done for the day, i went to shut it down finally happy because it had not froze for hoursand when shuting down it got stuck again frozen... GGRRRRRR lol So today i took it to the shop and removed everything. I am thinking it some driver issue because prime stress passes with no issues... But went for sealing the backplate because it just feels like something it shorting randomly. I couldn't find anything better than the stock plastic film the factory backplate had. I posted pictures. I also placed some black tape to insulate the legs that touch the case metal. Put everything back AGAIN... Boot up and shutdown with no issue. Crank it up again and started speedfan and it went into a WHITE screen and restarted... Im gonna say it was just some glitch with speedfan... Starts again, ran speedfan with no issues and currently running prime95. Ill shutdown a couple of times after prime95 and if it freezes at any point then i'll check the logs again to see if Im getting any errors reported there or check the minidumps. I couldn't find any dumps before but this time after it restarted from the WHITE screen it did create a dump. If everything goes well then ill start OCing in baby steps.

Attachments

• 2013-09-13_10-36-25_607.jpg
    2013-09-13_10-36-25_607.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 2013-09-13_10-39-47_69.jpg
    2013-09-13_10-39-47_69.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 2013-09-13_10-36-04_920.jpg
    2013-09-13_10-36-04_920.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 35
Prime ran no problems. I close prime. I left speedfan running and shutdown... STUCK AGAIN. Now im going to test shuting down with speedfan running again... Could just be speedfan being annoying...

Yes that could be . Might just not like the software. You can always try HWMonitor free version.

Yes that could be . Might just not like the software. You can always try HWMonitor free version.

Gigabyte driver package installed ET6 which includes HWmonitor in the last tab... might just use that from now on and see how it goes... Thanks for the support you all... Really help in taking this in more slowly lol

Kept steping in 100 mhz steps to 3.5ghz again which boots up no problems. Didn't push more and since that was my stable/safe running OC before the fan upgrade I went ahead and ran prime95 but froze in like 5 mins. The thing is i have to decide if i boost the voltage on the vcore or return back to stuck and keep checking if i get my machine to freeze again... Pain... pain...

I boosted the voltage to 1.35v on the vcore and using rather speedfan. Ill just remember to close it before shutdown...

Hmmm closed speedfan before shutting down but it still bugged my shutdown. I run ET6 and shutsdown with no issues... I'll continue using ET6 HWmonitor even thou it kind of feels like it causes my OC to freeze easier... Maybe i should download hwmonitor freeware so that it runs standalone and not with all the ET6 crap.

So speedfan freezes while shutdown and HWmonitor via ET6 freezes while running prime95... And i tried installing HWmonitor but it only detects my HD sensor... no CPU temps via it. Im going to change my LLC to extreme and keep setting my voltage higher to see if ET6 doesnt free. max Vcore ill go for is 1.4... if it doesn't help then I am considering just remove all the chipset drivers or maybe even reinstalling windows -.-

Last edited:
Freezing while running prime isn't necessarily the same issue. If it were me I'd remove the Speedfan and the ET6, do the oc from bios and monitor with HWmonitor free. Too many low level softwares can really interfere with each other so I think it's best to eliminate them.

Freezing while running prime isn't necessarily the same issue. If it were me I'd remove the Speedfan and the ET6, do the oc from bios and monitor with HWmonitor free. Too many low level softwares can really interfere with each other so I think it's best to eliminate them.

Im always OCing via BIOS. ET6 sucks... just using it to monitor temps and voltages. HWmonitor isn't working bro >.< Yes i know freezing on ET6->HWmonitor its not tthe same as freezing during shutdown. Thats why I am thinking its not actually hardware but software problem. Im thinking on simply running at 3.5ghz since it was working before and all i wanted was to run safe at full load... Which it will rarely happen on gaming because they usually hit your GPU. If i happen to free while normal usage, ill simply flush all my drivers and reinstall then maybe reinstall windows. Well i still haven't put my stock heatsink/fan back in.... I just would kind of hate and would make not sense why would that fix my issue...

Last edited:
Im always OCing via BIOS. ET6 sucks... just using it to monitor temps and voltages. HWmonitor isn't working bro >.< Im thinking on simply running at 3.5ghz since it was working before and all i wanted was to run safe at full load... Which it will rarely happen on gaming because they usually hit your GPU.

So do you have et6, speedfan and HWmonitor installed/

So do you have et6, speedfan and HWmonitor installed/

Yeah at one point. But not running on the same time. I uninstalled hwmonitor once it didn't detect my CPU. I currently have speedfan and et6. They don't startup with windows so I dont see a reason why they would conflict with each other...

So i just ran prime95 by itself for over 20 mins with no issues... Stopped prime and gave the CPU sometime to cooldown to idle. Hit shutdown and again froze on the "Shutting down..." screen >.< so its not speedfan... Searched online on this issue and people talk about usb settings or so that I never touched and didn't do the trick. I need somekind of tracker to run while windows shutsdown to see what the heck is getting stuck...

That is one easy thing to try though if you have any devices connected to the computer via USB you can try just disconnecting them .
I thought your issue was more sporaddic than just on shut down.

Something would have to be pretty broken for the newest Free version of HWMonitor not to work. It gives a CPU = Socket temp in one location and then a "Package" = Core temp in another location a few lines down. You have to make the HWMonitor menu larger to see the "Package" temp.

Or my mobo really sucks?

Well I have often felt like the mobo police with the telling of people that their board really sucks for FX 8 Core processors and liikely for any FX processor to be overclocked.

I almost wrote the second post of your thread that your mobo was super far away from being ideal for an FX processor so I just decided to let things run their course. They have now run a pretty serious course and you have eventually said in the quote above, what I started to write in the very beginning.

But that aside I did not because your major problems seemed to come from swapping out a cpu cooler which on first examination should not create your problems now at hand.

I have seen or heard of a few users of that sort of elCheapo board, get a very small overclock, but the majority finally give up and settled for less of an overclock or buy a considerably better mobo.
RGone...

Well I swap it out the heatsink fan but i think my issue came because my mobos BIOS resetted for some wierd reason... I am guessing because i pulled out the CPU while taking out the stock fan... Maybe even it was just a coincidence and some driver that I install its causing my issue... which as far as I remember was a printer (this just came back to me)... I am now considering uninstalling the printer driver and test my machine for a while. I read online someone that had the shutdown issue that it was some printer spool service getting stuck on shutdown... well ill report progress ;) thanks for your honesty thou and i couldn't agree more with you about the mobo being a bad part for tweaking even thou they sell it as an overclocking mobo.

I mean, when i set my mobo to defaults it runs my CPU as a 8100 which clocks at 2.8ghz... thats how sad my mobo is lol I told new egg about this and they said they are not responsible for incompatible combo parts. Its kind of stupid to make a combo with incompatible parts isnt it? Geesh, they are really getting too greedy i think... And i actually asked if I could upgrade my mobo and i would pay difference but they said they couldn't do it :( Very sad moment for me now... But ill let you guys know how my machine goes and if i ever find the culprit.

Honestly after 2 years of dealing with the Zambezi and Vishera FX processors, I see the pattern. If you buy that 'combo' you bought and stay out of the bios except to setup hard drives, that cpu will work pretty close to okay. It is the idea a user is going to overclock the cpu and starts tinkering that the mobo combo shows it *true* colors and insuitablity for overclocking.

The OEMs are using these cpus on proprietary boards and bioses with known ram and coolers and they work. But their bioses do not allow users to dork with the speed settings and power settings. Thus they get bye with boards that in general will not overclock either.
RGone...

Back