• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natedagw821

Registered
Hello everyone,
I have a amd 3800+ x2 OCed to 2.6ghz. My idle temp is 42C and my load temp is 54C. I plan on getting a new CPU cooler in the next two weeks. In the meanwhile, am I in danger of frying my cpu?

54 c is not too high. but it would be better to get them under 50c .
do not go over 1.55v and 50c temp then u should be safe

Do you have it overclocked at all? Running higher than stock voltage? If so, I would back that off just a bit until you get that new cooler.

I try to keep my CPUs under 40c if at all possible. However, I'm running water.

I wouldnt worry about frying the CPU with those temps. Just check out the BIOS options for thermal shutdown and you'd probably see the minimum values start at around 60C (thinking NF7-S, newer boards probably offer more adjustment though) - and thats a minumum. You're fine

Yeah, I dont like my Opteron going over about 45 degrees even in severely hot weather. You wont fry the CPU, but I would make sure theres decent airflow going through the case and the fan hasnt clogged with fluff.

I personally like to keep my CPU under 40deg. Every month I do my 'computer' clean up...literally; removing all dust from fans, heatsyncs, etc. Maintenance and taking care of your computer helps a lot.

50C and under is what most try to stay under for Air cooling. Your good for up to mid to up 60's but is it really recommened you go that high if you can avoid it? No

Try to keep the temps as low as possible make sure theres good air flow and if your CPU's that hot double check to see what your PWM's are putting out. While those can be good for very high temps also (most are rated for over 100C) keeping those low also is good for the CPU and the other components that rest in the area of them.

Thanks

Thanks alot for the responses! Yes my processor is overclocked.
Stock 2ghz; 1.3volts
OCed 2.6Ghz; 1.5volts

Back