• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

661 Cedar Mill-Degraded or voltage issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

A little background first.....
I was running a 661 Cedar Mill in the setup in my sig for about 4 months @4.6GHz/1.45 V-core Volts. Idle temps 26c load temps jumped to 50~52c. Well it just died on me about a month ago, I pulled it and bought a 930 and have been running it since.

I was looking for something today and I came across my 661 and decided to pop it in and try it again. At stock settings, I get one beep and a black screen, nothing else. Left the FSB stock and started bumping up the vcore voltage until I got something, when I hit 1.4V it got to the XP logo screen and it freezes there every time. Another weird thing is the xp logo screen was very faint, I could barely see it. 1.425 volts and it loaded windows fine, I ran dual prime for an hour with out errors. My idle temps are 27c load 49c; this thing has always run hot under load.

I tried to up the FSB and the highest I could get with 1.425V was 240x18=4.32GHz before it crashed and re-booted. Is this a sign of a degrading cpu or is there some kind of voltage issue here? My voltage would vary quite a bit even at stock settings. Idle would go up as high as .080~.100 volts and droop under load pretty much the same.

I am running a 930 now @4GHZ/1.35 Volts, Idle temps 27c and load 38c with an ambient temp around 21c. My vcore voltage only varies .030~.070 between idle and load on this chip and the temperature difference between idle and load are only 11c unlike the 22+c with the Cedar Mill. Any one else having similar issues with Cedar Mill's or have any insight on this? Thanks. :)

Back