• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conroe will be released on 14th of July!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

srtdodge05

Conroe will be released on 14th of July!

WE FINALLY MANAGED to get the date for the magic day on which all the hardware sites on the wibblesome web will come to life with official reviews and previews into the world of Intel's wonderbra chip, Conroe.

The Core 2 Duo for desktops was scheduled to launch first on July 23rd, then pushed back to July 27th, now the launch has been brought forward. The NDA expiry for the Core 2 Duo platform is set at July 14th.

While we were puzzled at first with the whole week-forward-backward-forward movement, it seems that the date has been pushed forward in order to co-relate with a European IMAX release of a 3D version of the film Superman Returns.

Our moles are telling us that IMAX theatres will start the Superman Returns movie in IMAX version with a teaser-trailer for Spider-Man 3 and an advert for Intel Core 2 Duo - the desktop version.

Whether the ad part is true or not, the NDA-signing web sites will spring into life on the 14th. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32793

We'll see about that, I really want to build a conroe rig. Even if the conroe comes out on the 14th. I haven't seen any mobo's out in the wild. Other than the badaxes. I think I'll let those of you with fatter wallets do the paid beta testing. :)

Albaholic said:
We'll see about that, I really want to build a conroe rig. Even if the conroe comes out on the 14th. I haven't seen any mobo's out in the wild. Other than the badaxes. I think I'll let those of you with fatter wallets do the paid beta testing. :)

P5W-DH? People have been saying, it's a really stable board .. similar to the P5WD2.

I hope they are right about it. It would be nice to see these things hit the market. I'm hoping Asus releases their P5B board soon. That's what I'm looking into since I have a Nvidia card and crossfire isn't needed.

Although they say release is on the 14th, in the body they say NDA is released on the 14th, big difference. It will be interesting to see though I still expect actual availability to take a little while longer.

965 based mobo's look like they won't lanuch untill the retail chips do, bump that up and we might get more motherboard results faster :thup:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "NDA-signing"

BLT says 8/04/06:( It said 7/5 until I looked today.

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...hispage=011003000509_BK12401P.shtml&ORDER_ID=

Also here are a couple of quotes from anandtech
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2771&p=6

"While Intel's Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors will be released at the beginning of Q3 of this year it will take some time for all of Intel's shipments to be Conroe based. The scary statistic is that by the end of this year, only 25% of Intel's Performance Mainstream desktop processor shipments will be based on Conroe."

and

"What we're worried about happening is a very small supply of Conroes on the retail market in late Q3/early Q4, resulting in much higher street prices than what you see in the table above"

and one strait from the horses mouth.
http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20060508corp.htm
"SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 8, 2006 – The Intel® Core™2 Duo processor is the new brand for Intel Corporation’s upcoming powerful and more energy-efficient processor families for desktop and laptop computers that will arrive in the third quarter, the company announced today."

For some reason I doubt that they will be released on the 14th.

Last edited:
What is with the date July 14th? I was watching Conair while browsing the forums and Came upon this quote from that movie

"My daddy is coming home on July 14th.

My birthday is July 14th.

I'm going see my daddy for the first time ever on July 14th."

sorry just found it funny.

I saw Superman Returns at the Imax and there was no Core 2 Duo/Conroe advert. The chip is a bit more expensive too than they initially said, however I'll spend $315 on an E6600 rather than the same for an X2 3800+. One of these is mine as soon as I pay down my Visa bill a bit :(

FudgeNuggets said:
I saw Superman Returns at the Imax and there was no Core 2 Duo/Conroe advert. The chip is a bit more expensive too than they initially said, however I'll spend $315 on an E6600 rather than the same for an X2 3800+. One of these is mine as soon as I pay down my Visa bill a bit :(

(Don't mean to start anything, just an FYI) AMD is slashing prices at Conroe launch to compete. Ghz for Ghz, AMD chips should be the same or cheaper.

25% is what I saw production numbers of ALL processors not just desktop (they make more then desktop CPU's) and that would include processors there not selling yet (some of the menron's said 2002 on them ;) )
andtech needs to stick there lack of production news in there ear :eek:

Hitman said:
(Don't mean to start anything, just an FYI) AMD is slashing prices at Conroe launch to compete. Ghz for Ghz, AMD chips should be the same or cheaper.

Amd processors dont scale as well Ghz for Ghz, if your keeping your rig pretty much at stock then that would matter to you, (well you would still take the 10-15% performance loss). But if your an overclocker, they need to cut prices to reflect the loss in scalibity as well.

These release date rumors are sketchy. I've got ETA's running over a 4 week span from all my suppliers.

TankGuys said:
These release date rumors are sketchy. I've got ETA's running over a 4 week span from all my suppliers.

These chips are going to sell FAST so I may have to wait a month or two. Plus from what I hear the mobos they work with that are out now, being the 775 BadAxe and the i965s are all CRAP.....so I may be waiting on a board that won't blow up my new DDR or be unstable with the Core2 and have an IDE port, not that I couldn't get an SATA to IDE adapter mind you.

greenmaji said:
But if your an overclocker, they need to cut prices to reflect the loss in scalibity as well.

i never see that happening, but one can hope.

Bah. With all the hype and the unknowns I'm just gonna hold off on a new rig until DX10 and Kentsfield.

Back