• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of laptop do you perfer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What Type of Laptop Do You Prefer?

• Largest and most powerful laptop you can possibly find

Votes: 29 6.2%
  • 17" Gaming Machine

Votes: 62 13.3%
  • 17" Midrange

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • 17" Cheap low end

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 14-15" Multimedia Powerhouse

Votes: 113 24.3%
  • 14-15" Midrange

Votes: 91 19.6%
  • 14-15" Uber cheap low end (good battery life)

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • 12" Midrange

Votes: 27 5.8%
  • 12" Ultraportable

Votes: 36 7.7%
  • The smallest and most ultraportable laptop you can possibly find

Votes: 35 7.5%

• Total voters

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
Ok so the choices are...

*Largest and most powerful laptop you can possibly find

* 17" Gaming machine

* 17" Midrange

* 17" Cheap low end

* 14-15" Multimedia powerhouse

* 14-15" Midrange

* 14-15" Uber cheap low end (good battery life)

* 12" Midrange

* 12" Ultraportable

* The smallest and most ultraportable laptop you can possibly find.

Not what type of laptop you have but what type you wish you had if it's not the type you own.

Last edited:
i will vote when you get the poll working:

but as for what kind i like:

not ultra portable but highly portable, under 5lbs 12-15" widescreen. dual core with no less than 5hrs of battery life.

^^^ That's Cheap and Low end AS 17" models are concerned...

I can remember that I was once able to pick up a i9300 with standard HD, Matte screen, x300 graphics for less than 800 which is really cheap as 17" screens go...

Midrange 15.4" widescreen. I'm on my second and it's seemed to handle my demands quite nicely. I'm tempted to get a 14" or even a ultraportable at some point though.

14-15" Multimedia powerhouse

I had a high-end 17" before the laptop I have in my sig, and although it was fast for it's time (HP ZD7360US - P4 3.2GHz, 512mb, FX5700 64mb, high res screen, etc.), after I had to carry it around (it weighted probably 10 pounds easily), plus the ac adapter (probably another 4-5 pounds) because of the battery life (2 hours if I was extremely careful, and had no internet access), I discovered that sacrifices must be made if I want to carry a laptop on campus with me (I am on campus for probably 10-12 hours a day, with several open hours in the middle). After the motherboard blew on it, I wasn't sure if I wanted a similar one, or if I wanted to make the ultimate sacrifice, and give up gaming ability for a portable system that didn't drain the battery completely while booting up, wouldn't keep a cup of coffee warm by being in the same room, and wouldn't pin you to your chair if you didn't supoprt it on a table. I made my choice, and although the lack of gaming ability kinda bums me out, the 5+ hours of battery life more then make up for it.

i'd perferr a decent power 13.3 or 14", maybe 12". HAS to be wide, no-gloss screen, decent cpu ( preferably dual core) and good battery life

i saw a sony that meets these, but its expensive.

as for low end 17" - acer has one. celeron, 256/512 ram, glossy screen with very little light.... its a real wad.

*Poll added :)

After having used my 6lb 15" Midrange (good CPU, bad graphics) I think I'd look for a more portable laptop next time. Screen size was good, but a bit too heavy for my tastes. I think a lightweight Tablet PC would ne nice. I've got my desktop afterall for gaming ;)

JigPu

I voted 17" gamer

I'm looking to get a Dell E1705 w/ 2Ghz Yonah, 2GB 667Mhz RAM, 60GB 7200RPM HD, 17" Truelife 1920x1200 LCD, 7900 GS, Audigy sound.

For only ~$1500 with 35% off coupon.

Of course I'd like to get one with a 7900GTX, but the only option Dell gives for that is the XPS systems, which are way overpriced and don't usually have good coupon deals like the Inspirons.

BTW I'm using this as a desktop replacement but with the option of portability. I Sold off my 3Ghz Opty, SLI 7900GTX system (OR still am selling it I should say) and will buy this and use the rest for bills and such :)

12" ultraportible. My desktop is there for games/storage/media/etc, I don't need any of that in a laptop, just something I can take with me and use when I'm not infront of it and I can use for a while without charging.

I wonder what I should choose?

My laptop needs are something portable and inexpensive, but quality. I don't need a brand new rig, so I use 3-4 year old IBM Thinkpads, which are really cheap, but do what I want and need.

Which choice do I check?

steve

I just got myself my first laptop that I've owned (Had a couple old Dells from work).

Ended up with a 13inch screen, 80gb hd and Intel Core Duo 1.66. Its gives me games on the go if i need and good battey life aswell if I turn of the wireless etc.

14" decent video card and 5+ hours of battery life while using word/wifi+explorer... oh wait i have it asus w3v...

Back