• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of laptop do you perfer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What Type of Laptop Do You Prefer?

• Largest and most powerful laptop you can possibly find

Votes: 29 6.2%
  • 17" Gaming Machine

Votes: 62 13.3%
  • 17" Midrange

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • 17" Cheap low end

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 14-15" Multimedia Powerhouse

Votes: 113 24.3%
  • 14-15" Midrange

Votes: 91 19.6%
  • 14-15" Uber cheap low end (good battery life)

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • 12" Midrange

Votes: 27 5.8%
  • 12" Ultraportable

Votes: 36 7.7%
  • The smallest and most ultraportable laptop you can possibly find

Votes: 35 7.5%

• Total voters
At work I use a 14" midrange, with an upgraded processor and RAM. I use a full docking station with PCI graphics driving dual displays. Even at 14" it's a pain to lug around, especially when travelling.

Due to this, I have an antique laptop for personal use, PIII 600, 1024x768, 256MB(maxed), 80GB HDD, integrated gfx, token ring on board(told you it was an antique), Atheros wireless g, weighs about 3 pounds, and has exceptional battery life. Serious IO and games are for desktops and servers. I don't mind carrying this around and the 2 ounces for a PCMCIA ethernet card don't bother me at all.

After having used a 15" Compaq that's around 7-8 lbs and a Dell 600M that was about 5.5lbs, I realised having something really light was important. So now I have the Tablet Fujitsu T4210. It packs alot of power at around ~4.3lbs. It sucks at gaming though which is why I have my desktop. So I voted for the 12" ultraportable.

I just ordered myself 10.5 inch ultraportable that I plan to take with me across Europe. I've always wanted an extremely light compy that could handle word processing, internet, basic programming, etc., that I could pickup and carry anywhere. I suppose this has been especially true as my old 'laptop' hasn't had a working keyboard or battery for a while now.

illuminati11_13 said:
I just ordered myself 10.5 inch ultraportable that I plan to take with me across Europe. I've always wanted an extremely light compy that could handle word processing, internet, basic programming, etc., that I could pickup and carry anywhere. I suppose this has been especially true as my old 'laptop' hasn't had a working keyboard or battery for a while now.

I hauled a 15.4" around Europe and although it wasn't bad, i have wanted a nice ultraportable since then for traveling. 10.5 is probably a tad small for my tastes, but you've got the right idea.

Something fast. That what computers are made to do right? Be fast. I'll gladly disguise a huge battery pack as a backpack.
Was thinking about getting 2 long-lasting UPS, hook them to each other and put them inside my tower if they fit, or get some uber-good double-sided tape, plug into my tower, mod the LCD so it flips, and call that my laptop. Just gotta research. I do have a few years, anyway.

14"-15" midrange for me.

Currently own an Inspiron e1505 (15.4", see sig).

I certainly wouldn't go bigger since portability is somewhat important.

The only thing I regret is not springing for the x1300.

Getting/building a new 15.4" Asus (midrange) within the next month. X1600 and Merom FTW!

(yes that's midrange because it's going to end up costing only $1100 ;))
((and yes $1100 is cheap, considering my current PoS Gateway laptop cost $1200 with a 2Ghz Turion 64 and onboard Radeon 200M video))

Last edited:
Currently on a 14". My next one will probably be a 12" ultraportable. I mean, that's what laptops are for right? You have a desktop for other things. I'd never get a 17", too big & heavy.

Currently I own 14.1 laptop which is good size. I owned 14.1 laptop before but I didn't like the model. Maybe one day I will get 12". I pretty much sure I will never go over 15" and I won't pay more for laptop more than $1000.

Running an old Dell M60 fully loaded at the moment.

Looking for the most powerful laptop you can possibly find at the moment to replace the M60.

Elif Tymes said:
I prefer having 2. one 17" High End Gaming, and one >12" Ultraportable.
I used to think that but unless you really game on the go alot, Powerfull desktop + Ultra portable or cheap work horse for school is the way to go. Dell XPS M170 user atm, but with my new conroe rig, that will be gone soon.

Its got to be a cheap but fairly well built 14in lappy for me. Not as if they are that upgradable so just use them for up to a year and get a new one. Just got a Tosh M50, and tweaked a bit runs surprisingly well, especially for £370 with another stick of memory.

I currently own a mid-range 15" Sony Vaio. Weighs a ton though. Next one will be ultracompact and lightwieght with good graphics car and LONG battery life.

12" midrange. I've found that ultraportables usually don't have much battery life, as the quest to reduce bulk and weight includes the battery in its casualty list. Macs somehow get ridiculous battery life, I don't know how they do it. Thus, if I had to do my laptop purchase all over again, I'd probably pick up a MacBook. Black, not pro, since I wouldn't want to mess around to get ATi working only marginally in linux. Remove the built-in webcam and it would be perfect, sort of an update to my black Asus S5N. Don't really know why I don't like the integrated camera, it would definitely be better than having an external one, I guess it's because I never had need of one, and to me it just adds clutter.

I own a 15.4 inch notebook. It serves all my needs now, but I'd prefer a highend 19'' notebook. So Sexy.. obviously, with good parts.

Well I voted for 15.4 portable, but I got a good deal on this 17" on the forums, and I shouldn't have a problem with it at school. But my next laptop is definately going to be a portable one.

Back