• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of laptop do you perfer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What Type of Laptop Do You Prefer?

• Largest and most powerful laptop you can possibly find

Votes: 29 6.2%
  • 17" Gaming Machine

Votes: 62 13.3%
  • 17" Midrange

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • 17" Cheap low end

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 14-15" Multimedia Powerhouse

Votes: 113 24.3%
  • 14-15" Midrange

Votes: 91 19.6%
  • 14-15" Uber cheap low end (good battery life)

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • 12" Midrange

Votes: 27 5.8%
  • 12" Ultraportable

Votes: 36 7.7%
  • The smallest and most ultraportable laptop you can possibly find

Votes: 35 7.5%

• Total voters
im currently running my dell inspiron 5000 laptop...blazing at an intense speed of 650MHZ with 192mbs of ram, and some crack pot before me actually got away with putting a 40 gigger in it.

Shell is cracking like a *****, so I don't know what to do with it...rip the drive out and put it in a 2.5'' external shell? get a new shell and a new battery (battery's LONG GONE) and keep it?

My cooling fan also doesn't turn on either, so I have to keep it on my ghetto-rigged laptop cooler...lol

God I've ghetto fabbed so much **** in my room I should be locked up for impersonating 50cent.

I voted for my new laptop which is in the mail right now (inspiron 6000)...15'', not to small but not to big. Right in the middle. 8)

I voted for 17" Gaming Laptop...Got my wife a replacement laptop after her other then had the motherboard fry.

she was going to pick a POS dell notebook and I put my foot down and ended up having to get a dell b/c they where only ones who'd give me a acct with them so I got an XPS M170 got a nice deal on it and it works great for gaming and such though I'm wishing I would have paid the extra money for a dual core CPU with it but oh well. the XPS's are pretty nice I like the way they are designed thus far except for the keyboards they are cheap as hell and the buttons break farily easily. Have had to get replacements 3 times I think now.

personally i prefer the most processing power but am only mildly concerned with the gpu power (just not integrated)

a screaming fast dual core cpu an ok graphics card and decently portable laptop is perfect. I do a lot of rendering and compiling so the cpu is much more important.

Perhaps adding another option to the list 14-15 inch cpu powerhouse workstation

I currently own a 1.83 mhz macbook pro and am happy with it but i just wish it was more powerful (i know i am crazy), perhaps i should have waited till the intel merom cpu's came out

Last edited:
Ordered the Asus S96j with the T2300 Duo Core Proc, 1GB Ram and X1600 VGA - 15.4" Multimedia lappy!

Nothing like a lappy with above average gaming specs combined with portability.

@ 3kg's, it ain't too heavy either.

I like the 14-15" midrange laptops. My current laptop is a 15.4" and imho is a bit too big for me to take to class and use on the crappy little desks most classrooms have at VT. I still do it, but its definitely not the most comfortable thing.

I think I want a 14" laptop with a dual core cpu and a non-Intel video card. I could even go for a 13" Macbook, but 12 might be a bit too small.

I just ordered an XPS 12inch laptop with some serious specs. I paid 1200$ for it. Take a look at what dell puts in this thing. Mine should be here tuesday!

222-4753 1 XPS M1210, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5600 (1.86GHz/667MHz/2MB)
320-4788 1 12 inch Wide-screen WXGA Display with TrueLife for XPS M1210
311-5987 1 1GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm for XPS M1210
320-4790 1 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 TurboCache, for XPS M1210
341-3560 1 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive,for XPS M1210
420-5591 1 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005,English for Inspiron XPS
430-0493 1 Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron
313-4221 1 24X Combo CD-RW/DVD, for XPS M1210
313-4362 1 Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy
430-1940 1 Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps) for XPS M1210
312-0432 1 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for XPS M1210 8hr life

Mr.Guvernment said:
no 13" choice?
yup. I'm using a SONY SZ 13" lappy. love it. thin, light, pretty powerful, screen is just big enough for web browsing or light work (my desktop has a 24" Dell), and good enough (for me) battery life (just over 3hrs), choice of intel or nvidia graphic is a plus.

I use it mostly for web browsing (sitting in the living room watching TV), light works (photoshop, web editing etc.), and travel. and it's more like my daily computer than my desktop. oh, I'm testing Vista (dual boot) on it too since the 7400 video card fully support Aero Glass interface. gonna upgrade to a Merom later on too.

in my case, most 14" is still a bit too big for me, and certain no 15"+! and 12" is too small to be daily use or do any real work IMHO.

Uber Cheap well built Thinkpad's. The old thinkpads were built like tanks. I already have a power house desktop so I need something I carry with me at all times on campus. WIFI, Light(under 4LBS), and cheap. Wait I just got my IBM X30. Man I love this notebook. 4 years ago it sold for over 2K$, I got it for 299$:)

14-15 inch midrange. Good mix of power, weight, battery life and cost. However my next laptop will probably be a thin and light, somewhere around 4-6 pounds. Which means I may have to leave my beloved Toshiba. I don't care if a laptop has a 1.5ghz celeron, what I do on the laptop is web and typing. I don't do anything hungry for power on the laptop, which is where I use my desktop. As far as i'm concerned, laptops shouldn't have gotten as big as they have.
Mine is a Toshiba Satellite A70 with P4 3.0ghz. Got it as a warranty replacement on a Satellite 1900 (had a brutal less than 2ghz P4, was slow.) The 1900's battery life went WAY down (like half hour), shortly after, something failed and I got BSOD right after boot in safe mode and normal mode.
I like the A70, it's a little heavy though. On the lowest speed and a low screen brightness, the battery can last 2.5-3 hours. On the highest everything while doing moderately powerful stuff, it can drain in an hour. I just upgraded to 1GB ram, it's much more responsive now, not all that far off my desktop, even with a 4200RPM HDD.
The hugest, most powerful laptops are only cool IMO because they squeeze high end desktop components into such a small size and still manage to keep cool enough:)

Vengance_01 said:
Uber Cheap well built Thinkpad's. The old thinkpads were built like tanks. I already have a power house desktop so I need something I carry with me at all times on campus. WIFI, Light(under 4LBS), and cheap. Wait I just got my IBM X30. Man I love this notebook. 4 years ago it sold for over 2K$, I got it for 299$:)

Yep, you can't beat them.

I just got a killer lappy, from the stupidest ebay seller ever! This one is a T22, with a 900MHz CPU, perfect screen, and modem-NIC on board. It was missing memory, HDD and battery/power adapter, all of which I have on-hand. It cost me $67.00 SHIPPED!! They said it had a HDD controller problem. So far, the only thing I have found wrong with it, was the CMOS battery was UNPLUGGED! Plugged it back in, and everything works just fine.

This is the second lappy I have gotten from these ID10TS. First one was a T23, that they thought was a T21. So, they tested it with PC100 memory, and got the bad memory beeps. Used 5 different sticks, of PC 100, and got the same beeps. I put in some PC133, and it fired right up.

Oh, the Morons, Surplus computers, out of Santa Clara Ca.

steve

To follow up on my first post, I think I am becoming spoiled by my laptop. I have started my new semester of classes, and I have a 5 hour break in between two of them. I can fart around on the web and in photoshop (runs just as well as on my main rig) for the entire time, and still have enough juice left to take notes in my last class, with at least a 15-20% charge left after that.

I just need to get the screen replaced (severe light bleeding problem :()

Just got a Lenovo 3000 V100. Love it. Less than 4 pounds. The screen is small, but that isn't a big deal to me. The keyboard is awesome. Battery life sucks, but it has the 3 cell battery. I could get the 6 cell (and I may.)

I just picked up a Dell M1210 I love it... its a 12.1" screen extremely powerful, but at the same time it does everything I need it to and it gets good battery life. I got the core 2 duo with 4mb. cache and 1 gb. of ddr2 667 ram I also went for the nvidia go7400 with 256mb video memory and a 7200 rpm drive.... I love it

Back