• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neo2 Plat labeled SATA incorrectly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rocketsauce

Registered
I havent seen this information posted anywhere that I could find, so I am posting it here.

I have 2 sata HD's that i just recently converted to RAID 0. Started having problems OC'ing and didnt understand why.

Found out that MSI switched sata port #’s on my board for some reason and that has been holding me back on my OC of the cpu. I have been plugging in my HD’s into sata 3/4 when they should be plugged in to the sata ports closest to my chipset sata ports 1/2. I suspected something about this before, but I couldn’t find any info regarding sata port #’s being switched.

My Comp started showing problems at 250 FSB (widows errored out with a corrupt or missing file message and wouldn’t boot up). I down clocked to 240 and windows would freeze before totally loading. It is now running stable at 230.

This link shows a typical MS-7025 board. The 2 orange sata ports next to the chipset read 3/4. My board, for some reason, shows sata 1/2 in this position. All overclocking tutorials say to connect to sata 3/4 because it has some sort of HD lock on those ports because it is closest to the chipset. Which is perfectly understandable. My sata ports 3/4 are farther away from the chipset and sit between the AGP and CPU though.

So , I am asking you guys: Should I be using ports 1/2 for OC'ing because it is closer to the chipset?

Sorry, if this has been covered here before.

Last edited:
Hey rseven,

I see some DVD burner that are using SATA now. Do you think I can run that on SATA1 and 2? I plan to get a second hard drive.

I would not run a SATA DVD on an overclocked controller. It might be okay, but i personally would not take the chance. I don't believe there is any advantage to running SATA DVD dibes over the IDE versions.

Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the late reply, I didnt think i was going to get a reply.

I still have my sata drives in ports 3&4 and I still can't go any over 230 FSB. I have had it up to 280fsb before putting my HD in a raid array. But i am sure i have forgot something, just cant figure out what it is.

I used to have an msi platinum (754) with the same chipset. If using sata 1&2 could oc to about 230 without data corruption, using just 3&4 could oc to the limit. Sounds as if something else is restricting your oc.

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. It was just coincidence that it happens to be 230+. I have reflashed to the 1.36 beta bios and starting again from scratch and see if I missed something. I do use the stickies from this site and the links they provide. i have had my FSB up to 280 before i did the raid array, but i have had to redo the oc'ing from that point. So, hopefully i just missed something on my second oc'ing adventure.

Btw SuperShanks, how do you like your DFI board. I have been thinking of rebuilding a new comp with that exact board, maybe the next gen DFI board. Do you go to LAN parties or did you get to specifically oc?

Lol!! bit long in the tooth 4 lanparties:) No a heavy Ocer. The DFI board is good, although if rebuilding now u may certainly find it better to go am2 or conroe, rather than tying yourself to 939.

PS - you might find you can't oc quite as hard with your raid, you may lose around 5 htt, found i did with my current raid, no worries though as overall it's faster.

luck;)

I also added 2x512mb RAM to my setup in slots 3&4 (my RAMslots are filled)...would that have anything to do with my troubles of OC'ing?

I'm a little confused about the AGP frequency. Since i am running bios 1.36b should the frequency be set to 66 or 67?

Last edited:
Back