• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 3000+ Venice Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Septimal

Hi all, hope someone can help.

I was running an AMD 64 Venice 3000+ clocked at 2.2 GHZ on an ASROCK Dual VSTA motherboard. A friend basically overclocked it for me in the bios, but then I found out how to do it myself by watching him, and tried for a 2.4 overclock.

My processor multiplier was at x9, CPU FSB at 250 and Ram at 166 Mhz and pc stable. So I lowered the ram memory clock to 133Mhz and upped the cpu FSB to 275. No boot...and couldn't get into the bios, so I had to do a CMOS reset.

Right, since I've did the cmos reset, I've had problems.

1st Problem: Boot up (pre windows XP screen) is very slow....the bit where it shows the bios info and detects the drives, etc...really really slow. Even when I press the F11 to enter bios, this takes ages.

2nd Problem: My secondary HDD (IDE) is not being recognised at all. I've gone into bios and set everything how I remember, but it's still not recognising it at all.

3rd Problem: My CPU Multiplyer in bios says x9 (and I've set it manually back to 250 FSB and 166 Mhz and 1.45 voltage, but in CPU-z is it saying x5 multiplier, which I don't understand at all. It's x9 1800mhz in bios, very odd.

I had updated the bios about 2 months ago before doing this cmos reset, does that mean I have to reflash the bios after?

Appreciate any help,

Many thanks,

M

P.S.
Many of my settings in bios to do with memory and CPU are set to AUTO.
I'll list these, and would appreciate if someone can tell me whether I need to change anything:

CPU:
Spread Spectrum
CPU NB Link Speed
CPU NB Link Width
NB-SB Link Speed
NB-SB Link Width

Memoryall set at auto)
Cas Latency
TRAS
TRP
TRCD
TRC
MA Timing

Burst length is set to 4 (do I need to change this?)
Bank Interleaving - Auto
Memory Hole - Disabled
MA Timing - Auto

Gated Clock Function - Disable
DRAM Voltage Auto
ACPI - Suspend to Ram = Disabled
ACPI HPET Table - Disabled

Septimal said:
3rd Problem: My CPU Multiplyer in bios says x9 (and I've set it manually back to 250 FSB and 166 Mhz and 1.45 voltage, but in CPU-z is it saying x5 multiplier, which I don't understand at all. It's x9 1800mhz in bios, very odd.

Is Cool'n'Quiet enabled in BIOS? Might want to disable it.

take your HT from x5 to x3 and set your ram at 133.. and try that this is what i have came up with...

34over.jpg

:welcome:

From experiance, try to only set one area at a time. If you change ram settings, reboot before raising HTT. On some systems with some memory it works but I've had several boards that just did not like me to touch both on the same reboot. Preferably, set the ram divider back and set the lats looser, you can tighten them later. Reboot then return to raise the HTT. When you pass 250, it's best to walk it up to the higher settings about 10mhz per reboot and checking stability and settings. One you know your mobo, cpu and rams behaviour then you may be able to jump to higher settings in one setting.

It almost sounds like, from your "1st problem" the "2nd problem" that you may need to do a BIOS flash. A slow BIOS is, in my experience, a result of a corrupted BIOS. This should fix the slow POST and the issue with the HDD not being recognized.

Also, you should try disconnecting the power cord to the problem drive and boot up. Then shut down, reconnect the power cord and reboot. Your drive may then auto-detect. I had a DVD burner that wouldn't even show up until I disconnected, booted, reconnected and rebooted.

Update

Well,

Now my pc is clocked back at 2.2 Ghz, but to stop it hanging at boot screen I had to remove both my IDE Drives (HD and a DVD ROM). - They were not showing in bios anyway when they were connected.

Anyone know what I need to do to get my IDE devices picked up again by my motherboard? Ever since reset CMOS I have the IDE devices not detected.

Luckily, my HD I am using now is SATAII so it wasn't affected, but I need really badly the ROM device to work in particular.

Is it worth resetting cmos again or should I just reflash the bios? It's latest bios already, but just wondering what I should do.

Thanks,

M

soulfly1448 said:
It almost sounds like, from your "1st problem" the "2nd problem" that you may need to do a BIOS flash. A slow BIOS is, in my experience, a result of a corrupted BIOS. This should fix the slow POST and the issue with the HDD not being recognized.

Also, you should try disconnecting the power cord to the problem drive and boot up. Then shut down, reconnect the power cord and reboot. Your drive may then auto-detect. I had a DVD burner that wouldn't even show up until I disconnected, booted, reconnected and rebooted.

No, it sounds like the wrong HDD jumper setting. It probably is because of HDD jumper setting being set wrong, especially if the BIOS hangs!

Back