• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, I killed my bios. Now what

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3line

I've been setting up a dothan system on a P4P800-E Deluxe, and I got a bad flash. Now the thing does not boot. It starts and all, but there is no video and the keyboard very obviously doesn't work.

So how do I go about fixing this?

You can always contact the company and order a new bios chip. But I think if you put the file on a floppy theres a hotkey you can press (alt+F2?????) and it automatically flashes the bios. can someone correct me on the 2nd one? Im 99% certain i got something wrong.

If you have another system that uses the same bios chip, you can do what is called a hotflash. You boot up the good board, swap chips while it is running, and flash the bios for the other board.

For a dumb arse like me how do you put the new bios chip in?
Do you need any kind of special tools?
Do the aftermarket Bios Chips help you to OC better?
What do you do with the old one?

wun911 said:
I pulled mine up (the PLCC socket type) with one of the side clips from a small one of these:

istockphoto_172104_black_clip.jpg

Just gently tug on each corner until it pops out.

No, a new bios chip won't help you OC better, and I hope that you'll never have to replace one.

P.S. I put in an order with badflash.com. Now all I can do is wait.

wun911 said:
If you have one of the new PLCC style ones (square and in a socket), it's not too bad. There's a special tool for it that will cost you a couple bucks at radio shack. I've also heard that you can do it with a small screwdriver or two. Just pop the old one out and stick the new one in.
Nope, they're intended for situations just like this.
I would hotflash it with a good bios for your board, then you always have a spare on hand.

Gnufsh said:
If you have one of the new PLCC style ones (square and in a socket), it's not too bad. There's a special tool for it that will cost you a couple bucks at radio shack. I've also heard that you can do it with a small screwdriver or two. Just pop the old one out and stick the new one in.
The tool is a type of tong with the tips bent inward at 90 degrees. That's why the easiest way to do it (aside from buying the tongs) is to use a bent paper clip. The screwdriver does work, but I gave up on that method for fear of damaging the socket.

I have a tool, so that's all I've used. Interestingly, it was actually easier to remove the older style dip chips with a screwdriver than with the tool designed for them, and you bent fewer pins that way too.

Ive got an extra chip you can have, just PM me your address and I will stick it in an envelope and send it out.

This whole thread is the classic tale of "Why you should never update the bios unless it is absolutely necessary."

Also, I respectfully submit that "If you have another system that uses the same bios chip, you can do what is called a hotflash. You boot up the good board, swap chips while it is running, and flash the bios for the other board." is a recipe for disaster. Removing a chip from a booted up motherboard is like dancing with the Devil!

I'm wondering how he got the bad flash in the first place. Bad floppy?

We would like to learn from your mistakes.

I've flashed many boards, video cards. Via winflash, award flash, etc etc. Haven't gotten a bad one yet *crosses fingers*.

All you have to have happen is get a power drop out while the flash is in progress and it's a gonner. You can minimize this problem by using a UPS power supply.

turd said:
Ive got an extra chip you can have, just PM me your address and I will stick it in an envelope and send it out.
I would like you to know that I really really appreciate your offer, but apparently the spare is shipping from badflash.com today, so it's really not needed. Thanks anyway.

JimmyG, yeah, that's what happened.

Well, I have only good things to say about badflash.com

I ordered the chip over the weekend, and the guy e-mailed me to say that it was shipping on monday. I got it wednesday, popped it in, and everything booted up fine. 12h prime stable too. Woot.

Back