• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 64 X2 4400+ and ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, OC problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidHrome

Hi. I'm very newbie in oc. This is my first post, so if I do something wrong, please correct me. Please for simply answers, or link if there is some sollution for me.

I just bought:

AMD 64 X2 4400+ (Toledo) (s939)
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (HeatPipe Chipset Cooling)
4 x 1GB DDR (PC3200)
Scythe Infinity.
PSU is a Tagan 480W.

When the system is non OC it works good ( without any crash ).
But when I try to OC - using BIOS AI Overclock - the system is start to be unstable. From time to time it's going to reboot. Without any warning. It's not the temperature, because I've test it overclocked at 2600MHz at SuperPI and Prime95 ( there wasn't any errors ) at the same time ( both CPU cores was in 100% use for about one hour ) and nothing happend. But when I just try to OC that about 2400MHz ( setting in BIOS, AI Overclock 10% ) it reboot when I just read some news on some webpages...and the temperature was about 40-45 C. I don't know where is something bad.
I just need a stable machine...;(

Please, tell me how to OC ( I just want to have 2400MHz but stable )

Here is shots from CPU-Z:

CPU:
[img=http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3145/cpuzcpuhc4.th.jpg]

Mainboard:
[img=http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5539/cpuzmainboardpp8.th.jpg]

SPD:
[img=http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/2111/cpuzspdkf4.th.jpg]

Memory:
[img=http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/4553/cpuzmemorygb2.th.jpg]

btw. That settings are without OC.

If some more info is needed please write it.

If it could be usefull, here you've got cpuz.txt with some much more details about my system.

:bang head

Last edited:
I'm no professionnal overclocker either, however, it sounds like you need to raise your vcore a bit.

Overclock manually instead of using the AI method. Go to Motherboard section under "Asus" threads and you will see lots OC tips by members there.
are the 4 sticks or rams same spec? if not you will have hardtime ocing.
use same color dimm slots for same 2x memory kit is the 2 kits are different brand or spec. even if they are same brand and spec, dont mix match them and keep the 2 stick of same package in the slots of same color.
Other than this you should go to asus motherboard forum and pose the questions there. also, if decided to oc manually, make sure you choose 2T command rate (instead of 1T) in the memory timings section of the bios. 1T will not run if you have 4 sticks of rams. 2 sticks can do 1T. just good to know.

It's was the same sticks, but them wasn't in pairs. 4 Boxes one stick in each box.
Yes. I read about 1T ( don't work with 4 sticks ) and 2T.

ochungry said:
. Go to also, if decided to oc manually, make sure you choose 2T command rate (instead of 1T) in the memory timings section of the bios. 1T will not run if you have 4 sticks of rams. 2 sticks can do 1T. just good to know.

speaking of 1T and 2T, what's the difference and which one gives better performance?

I personally have had a good experience with Asus's software oc'ing software, AIBooster. I have the a8n32sli, but it shouldnt be all that different, in theory. Maybe so, though. With my 4400+ I have 2.6Ghz stable, temp reaching high forties at most, 32-35 idle, with a zalman cnps9500 cooler on it. If I was oc'ing in the bios i should be able to hit 2.8 or 2.9, but I'm not all that experienced with bios oc'ing so 2.6 is good enough for me atm. Atleast until I find the impetus to take it to the next level.

Maybe you could write some settings to check, some save settings, because I don't know what I should change to get stable.

It' just was happend...I've browsing web pages when comp reboot, but before that....about maybe 2 minutes, the screen turn black for about one second...
it was strange.

Comp is overclocked @ 10% ( using BIOS AI OC 10% ). So it should be stable.
----> 220MHz x 11.0x, 1.35V ~2420MHz

BIOS update doesn't help :( ( so that isn't a BIOS bug or something ).

LiquidHrome said:
It' just was happend...I've browsing web pages when comp reboot, but before that....about maybe 2 minutes, the screen turn black for about one second...
it was strange.

Comp is overclocked @ 10% ( using BIOS AI OC 10% ). So it should be stable.
----> 220MHz x 11.0x, 1.35V ~2420MHz

BIOS update doesn't help :( ( so that isn't a BIOS bug or something ).

10% OC means you are running 2200MHz HTT freq. Drop your HTT multi to 4

I was once in your position ( some would say still ) Liquid, and I found lots of information in the stickies. I tried using the AI overclock stuff and I never liked it, as it never seemed to take effect. You may be having memory errors as well. I find with my cheapo ram that if I just up the overclock and pull the memory along with it, I tend to get random crashes and such. Good luck on the OC

Back