• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PhenomX4 9750 OC and his problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The sad part is that your 9770 CPU is good and probably adequate for what you want to do. It's the motherboard that's letting you down and probably not upgradable because they aren't making AM2+/DDR2 boards anymore. Your only option would be to look for a good used 790FX AM2+ motherboard. Otherwise you will have to upgrade CPU, ram and motherboard to AM3/AM3+ and DDR3 level. But you are wise in starting with the PSU as the first upgrade. Go with a good name brand like Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair if they are available to you and get one with a rating of about 550-600 watts.

And what about your case? A good roomy case with lots of fans for good ventilation is another foundational piece for successful overclocking.

+1 on the power supply. My "450 watt" generic PSU finally gave up (in spectacular fashion) , so I threw in a 300 watt I had laying around until I can afford a better one. 2.7 GHz was my max stable OC. With a much lower rated PSU I'm at a stable 2887 GHz and have reached 3038 GHz! http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2400472

Watt rating surely does not tell the whole story as you have found out for real. However had anyone said to you three weeks ago that a better power supply would help your overclock; you likely would have thought them crazy. That is how life seems to be most of the time.

I was planning a PSU upgrade before it blew , due to seemingly random symptoms pointing to it being at least suspect. I also wanted a quality PS to eliminate it as a variable or unknown quantity. In my short time hanging around here I have become a believer in a good PS. Too many smart people here for me to argue with. :)

Back