• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PhenomX4 9750 OC and his problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is the 1st attempt of the OC, everything went perfect.
20 minutes of P95 blend without crash, freeze, BSOD or a stop of a worker!
These are the temps of the system, now I'll try 220mhz :)

Increase the CPU Overvoltage from +50mv to +100mv. You certainly have enough core temp headroom to do that. That should help with stability.

Increase the CPU Overvoltage from +50mv to +100mv. You certainly have enough core temp headroom to do that. That should help with stability.

Ok, meanwhile I have tested 215mhz of OC and everything goes well
and with the same temp with the 210mhz, now I'll try with the overvolt :)

Temps aren't impacted nearly as much by frequency increases as they are by vcore (core voltage) increases.

220mhz with +100mv at the CPU, 20minutes with P95 without problem.
Thanks trents, do you think can I go over 220?

Now I'm going to sleep, we'll see tomorrow for other test, thanks again!

Last edited:
Yes, by all means, go as far as you can go. I think people were commonly getting about 2.8 ghz on those CPUs overclocked but you may get more or less. Your temps are so good I would add some more vcore, i.e., CPU overvoltage to +150mv. And if you seem to hit a wall you might try bumping the VDDNB up to +66mv from the current +33. Next time you post please include the CPU-z "Memory" tab along with the CPU tab. In the end, we want to work on the memory frequency to get it back close to it's 800 mhz rating. We can do that by lowering your CPU multiplier while continuing to crank up the CPU frequency to keep the CPU from getting unstable. Don't worry about that now.

When we have a feel for the max overclock of the CPU we will lengthen the Prime95 blend test to 2 hr. to confirm stability. 20 minutes is time efficient but not long enough to ensure that you are truly stable.

Is +150mv the most you can add to the vcore? And do you have any more Hyper Transport Speed choices than 200, 400, 800, 1000 and Auto? Sometimes manuals are kind of sketchy and there are more choices in the bios than what shows in the manual.

Last edited:
Perfect, now i'll try to hit 2.7 and I'll testing with P95.
My vcore can reach +150mv and the HT has more choice.

These are the results, following your tips:
230mhz bus, +150mv vcore, +66mv VDDNB (2760mhz for the CPU)
Tested with P95 blend mode for 2H straight, no crash, no freeze, no BSOD.

Here the screen:

I think that for now I'll stop here, 'cause in summer we have warmer external
temps than they are now, at least 5/6 ° C, so I leave it at safe temperatures.

You have nothing to fear from a core temperature standpoint if your want to go a little higher. I'd like to see you increase the CPU frequency enough to get the ram back up to 400/800 which is what its rated for. Now it is at 383.3/686.6. By the way, in case you were wondering, both your bios and CPU-z report the ram bus frequency, not the ram's DDR2 transfer rate which is twice the bus frequency. Thought I'd mention that to you in case you were puzzled by it.

Just make sure whatever you settle on as your final overclock you test it with Prime95 in the heat of the day on one of your warmer days to make sure it will be reliable under the worst conditions.

Thanks, I'll do more tests later, when the ambient temps will hit the max (32C°, now are 26/27C°).
Anyway the twice of 383.3 is 766.6, not 686.6 like you said, or I miss something?
I don't think to be so far from the stock mhz of the ram, or 33.4mhz is a
necessary improvement for the stability?

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll do more tests later, when the ambient temps will hit the max (32C°, now are 26/27C°).
Anyway the twice of 383.3 is 766.6, not 686.6 like you said, or I miss something?
I don't think to be so far from the stock mhz of the ram, or 33.4mhz is a
necessary improvement for the stability?

Yeah, my math was wrong! Thanks for catching that. So you are already very close to the stock speed of the ram. Should be easy to get there with another small increase in the CPU frequency.

Right now I'm testing (for 2H) with P95 blend, CPU bus@235mhz, [email protected](781.2)
But before I start testing I wanted to ask if it is necessary for the stability of the system to reach 800mhz for the RAM.

Bad news :( Unfortunately I had to revert to default because (I do not know why) the
multiplier of the processor goes randomly from 12 to 6 without any reason! What could be the problem? That's very odd!

Bad news :( Unfortunately I had to revert to default because (I do not know why) the
multiplier of the processor goes randomly from 12 to 6 without any reason! What could be the problem? That's very odd!

NOT odd at all if Cool N Quiet is still enabled in bios and if Win 7 power mode is not set to performance for starters.

NOT odd at all if Cool N Quiet is still enabled in bios and if Win 7 power mode is not set to performance for starters.

-Cool N Quiet is disabled, I've tried even to re-enable and disable again.
-Win 7 power mode is setting to performance.

Isn't odd? :confused:

If you go back up to your post #29 you will see the cpu was downclocking way back there when testing. AMD designs the cpu to downclock for power savings. Normally when loaded the cpu should clock back up to the speed set and with the power to cpu set up to withstand the load of running fast again.

Now that you say you have all those power saving modes set to off and it does n0t remain clocked up, makes my memory cells jiggle a little bit. That is one of those old Nvidia chipset motherboards and something in the back of my mind makes me wonder if I read of similar because the later bioses do not disable Cool N Quiet to withstand the load of the newer cpus. I do vaguely remember something odd about those Nvidia boards. Maybe it will come to me.

In main, throttling back when unloaded is no reason to remove a good overclock. Fact throttling back and not crashing is a bonus. You don't run as hot all the time and use as much power all the time. All my systems throttle when not in use. Like it that way.

Maybe I have solved my problem.
I've downvolted the CPU from +150mv to +100mv and then in the BIOS I've
changed the Load Line Calibration from Auto to 74% and the problem
seems gone, now i'm starting to test with Prime95 for testing the stability.

I've tried even the LLC to 90% and to overvolt again the CPU to +150mv.
Nothing to do, I have to remove my OC and return to default.
It 's pointless to have a system that halves and doubles its power randomly
in the middle of a game or a rendering, very useless :(

anyway thanks so much for the help!

Back